5 Self-Care Tips for Post-Election Stress

Taking care of yourself should be the number one priority.

8

The 2016 Election has been one of the most controversial in American history. Whether you're a Democrat or Republican, this election can be a great stress giver. Luckily, I've got a couple of self-care tips to make sure that you have the right tools to give your mental health the TLC that it needs.

1. Take a break from social media.

Social media is both absolutely amazing, and endlessly terrifying at the same time. It makes the world seem very, very small. It's a place for everyone and anyone's opinions on any subject, and the election has been no different. It's good to detach from that sometimes toxic community and take some time to be within your own mind and feel your own emotions, without them being up for critique. Explore your environment and see how much adventure is right at your finger tips! Take a walk, leave your phone at home, give your mind the space that it needs to heal.

2. Tell yourself that everything will be okay.

Self-reassurance is the first step to actually believing it. If you're feeling stress about what the future may hold take some time to make a list of things that will make you happy and accomplished for today, tomorrow, and this week. Keep the list close to you and make the effort to chip away at it whenever you can. If the election's making you feel helpless, this can help you feel like you're gaining control of the situation.

3. Give your mind permission to take a break.

Take time out to do fun things! Turn your brain off and just enjoy. Watch one of your favorite shows on Netflix. Go on a YouTube binge. Do something enjoyable, to take your mind off of you-know-what. Trust me, it'll still be there when you're done.

Here's one of my favorite YouTube videos that always makes me laugh no matter what the situation.

4. Confide in a close friend.

Sometimes, all we need is a friend. Venting can be a great coping mechanism, so call up that one friend who's a great listener (we all have that friend :) ) and tell them about anything and everything that you're feeling.

5. Treat Yo' Self

After living through the stress of the 2016 Election, we all need a little bit of a reward. Get yourself your favorite food for lunch! Buy those jeans from H&M that you've had your eye on for months. Buy a new album, and indulge in the music! Do something for yourself because your deserve it.

I hope these tips are a great start to your self-care journey! I know the 2016 Election can be a stressful time, but make sure you take care of yourself first before you take on the world. You matter.