5 Reasons To Encourage Girls To Be Anything But Princesses

The royal life isn't everything it's played up to be

166

In modern Western culture, one word that is almost guaranteed to turn heads and catch eyes is "royal". From the British Royal family weddings and baby announcements that have American's up in the wee hours of the morning, to movies and story lines about kings, queens, princes, and princesses, much of the Western world is infatuated in some sense or another with the idea of royalty. However, many businesses know they can capitalize on this fantasy, and rather than showing the amazing possibilities that other tracks in life hold, most narratives played for young children is that the ultimate role to be in is royalty, especially a princess.

While various other actual careers have become more prominent, and you will definitely see a few young surgeons and firefighters out on Halloween, the overwhelming number of young girls are going to be dressed as princesses. Should they be allowed to have fun? Absolutely, I am not advocating that young girls should not play princess, but many become infatuated with this idea that the title gives them worth, when they are already priceless. Here are five reasons that young girls should be encouraged to be anything but princesses.

1. Only 18 out of 195 countries have princesses.

As of the date this article was published, a mere eighteen out of the one hundred ninety five internationally recognized states around the world have a resident princess. Total, there are forty eight royal princesses around the world, and with forty eight individuals out of nearly seven and a half billion people worldwide, there is a slim chance of every becoming a princess via marriage (which is the only option since they are only a princess through birth, otherwise).

2. Their title comes from a marriage certificate, not from their own merit.

If you are not born royal, becoming a princess is only achieved through marriage to a royal. It's not a sign of merit, but that one's designated life parter comes from a royal lineage. Being royal is also not a given note of merit. This does not overshadow the fact that many of the princesses around the world are engaged in many noble causes, such as Princess Anne of Edinburgh, the only daughter of Queen Elizabeth II, who attends nearly seven hundred (700) events throughout the year, many of which are charities such as "Save the Children." It should be emphasized, however, that the title of "princess" is just that: a title. It does not mean someone is more or less worthy or capable than anyone else. One does not have to be a princess to do great good.

3. Princesses have very little agency over their own personal affairs.

We've all seen that story line in princess movies where the headstrong royal protagonist is driven to change the way things run in their castle and in their country; I know I sat happily grinning from ear to ear as I watched Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, PrinCESS of Genovia, politely tell off her government at her self-crashed wedding that she should not have to marry anyone to be eligible for the throne. You go, Mia. Unfortunately, the real world does not operate that way. Royals have virtually every facet of their lives dictated by their country's tradition, standard, and government, from aspects of clothing, what you eat, and even who you marry. To be a princess is to be part of the family that represents a functioning nation and all of its working parts, so any aspect of individual choice is relatively thrown out the window, including having an outward opinion on pretty much anything of substance. It's a great responsibility that comes at great cost.

4. The world is in need of teachers, nurses, and vocational professionals, not princesses.

Why do young women want to become princesses? Aside from the leisure and the supposed wealth, some princesses, fictional and real, have garnered fame from making a difference. Many princess narratives are woven with threads of actions detailing the changes they've made for the betterment of others. However, change made as a result of becoming a princess is far less likely than every day changes someone can make in an occupation that's not as glamorized. Nurses, electricians, construction workers and a myriad of other vocations are facing severe shortages because many young individuals see those positions as undesirable. Many individuals in these jobs make solid salaries and earn vital experience that allows them the flexibility to move up and around the work force. They are also the life blood of society, providing health care, shelter, and electricity and countless other services we may have come to see as necessities simply because we take these amazing people and what they do for granted. A princess isn't going to help repair your home after a storm, as much as they may be part of the PR to help fundraise.

5. A young woman does not have to be a princess to be special.

All in all, the idea of being a princess is appealing because the role is very special, but the title does not ultimately define the individual. As the world population steadily grows, it becomes more abundantly clear that we are just one person out of billions, and that thought is overwhelming. However, it begins with us and the choices we make. Rosa Parks was not a princess, but she is special because she stood (or sat) for her rights. The women of the #MeToo campaign were not princesses, but they are special because they spoke out. Even the late Princess Diana of Wales, though she was royalty through marriage, is special not because of her position in the royal family, but because of what she did as the "people's princess" even when she no longer had her "HRH" title. It's what we do every day, and the acts we commit in our day to day lives that make us special. No one needs a crown to change the world.