5 Reasons You Should Become Bilingual

5 Reasons You Should Become Bilingual

Choosing to continue into college with a second language is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

20
5 Reasons You Should Become Bilingual

Ever since I was little, my mom could not wait for me to start learning other languages. I started Italian lessons in 1st grade and began my journey with Spanish in 7th grade. I'm now on my 7th year with the Spanish language, and I couldn't be happier. Although I still have quite a way to go to become bilingual, I couldn't be happier with my decision to seek fluency in 2 languages. Here's why:

1) Your world will expand

Suddenly, you are able to communicate with people from other cultures. That means that you can build friendships, relationships, and connections with others because you can speak their language. It's a unique ability. You can validate people, discuss controversial topics, and constantly gain new insights about other people and their ways of life.

2) New opportunities will come your way

Nothing says "hire me" when applying for a job like "I can speak two languages" or "I am proficient in..." So many doors can open for you in the world of employment if you are able to speak more than one language, especially if they are the first and second languages of the country you are residing in. It is an ability that can make you stand out from the rest.

3) Traveling will be more exciting

Nothing is more exciting and terrifying than being able to go to another country and get first-hand practice with your second language. Especially knowing that if you solely use the language while you're there, you'll arrive back home with such a stronger knowledge and ability in it. Not to mention that when you are there, it'll start to flow like it's nothing.

4) Your mind will act as a switch

Every time I come out of a long Spanish class and people start talking to me in English, I'll often answer them in Spanish. Interestingly enough, my mind is still in Spanish mode. After receiving a confused look, it takes me a few seconds to realize that I need to switch languages. It's amazing how when you really start to advance in a language, your mind starts switching back and forth between them.

5) It makes life more interesting

In general, my life is so much more exciting with two languages. It gives me new opportunities and the unique ability to be able to talk to some of my friends in two completely different ways. I also have a lot of dreams in Spanish! Also, through my Spanish, I've been exposed to so many different ways of living, cooking, and communicating. Choosing to continue into college with a second language is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It enriches my education and makes me excited for what the future holds.