5 Reasons Why Valentine's Day Is Overrated

Do you ever just wish Febuary 14th was a normal day? Because same.

42
Photo by Maira Gallardo on Unsplash

Have you ever just thought to yourself , "Why is Valentines day even that big of a deal?" because I feel at some point we all have. No matter if you're single, in a committed relationship or married at some point you have been alone, meaning this holiday isn't exactly for you.

1. If you're single it is just all around a depressing 24 hours of your life

If anyone is single and has experienced not getting a single thing on the day of love I'm with you there. You get to scroll through all your social media feeds, seeing that new post from your best friend and her boyfriend at dinner on Instagram or check out all the amazing flower bouquets on SnapChat. All the while you are sitting at home at the end of the day with a face mask on, planning on raiding the half priced candy isle tomorrow at your local target.

2. You feel super pressured in your relationship to make the day amazing

If you aren't single, this one is for you. Especially for guys, the pressure is on to impress your girlfriend or wife with a gift or out do yourself from last year. You spend an outrageous amount of money on such a beautiful arrangement of flowers only to have them wither in a week. If you're someone looking for jewelry this Valentines Day I won't even get started on the costs of a ring or even a nice necklace.

3. Its an awkward day if you aren't exactly in a relationship yet or don't know if anything is going to pan out

I have had this happen myself and I have to say it's really odd to just ignore that it's Valentines Day and go about your day. It almost pressures you to make decisions early before the holiday and rush into a relationship. I don't know how many times I have heard of people getting into relationships just to experience the day with someone or receive a gift of some sort. Obviously not the greatest decisions.

4. It is straight up impossible to dump someone before or after Valentines Day

Nobody wants to be known as the girl that dumps her boyfriend on Valentines day, or especially the guy that dumps his girlfriend on or a few days before the day. That creates not only a rough emotional experience, wastes someones money on some end. I mean obviously if you aren't happy you should do it, it's just kind of weird that you can't do it in the end of winter in the month of February because theres this big 'love' holiday in the way.

5. Everyone just needs to show that much enthusiasm for each other more often

My biggest beef with the entire day is the fact that in a couple of relationships I could only expect a nice date or even a small gift on Valentines Day because it was expected by everyone else. You should admire your friends, significant other and family more often, not just because a consumer holiday told you too. Always show your admiration for those you love, not because it's Valentines Day.