5 Reasons Why It's OK To Have An Unpopular Opinion

In a time where we're always on edge about offending someone, we tend to forget the value of having our own opinions.

1331
Sergey

In this hyper-sensitive world that we live in today, it would seem natural to want to support commonly accepted trends and movements. After all, most of us yearn for a cohesive society with mutual understanding. While I agree that it's important to be open-minded and learn as much about each side of an argument as possible, I also find the value in unpopular opinions. These opinions could be as lighthearted as not liking the film "Titanic"to more controversial topics, such as being opposed to the #MeToo and #BlackLivesMatter movements.

These disagreements among various individuals should promote controversy with civility, a term we dub in my leadership courses as the act of peacefully sharing each other's side when varying viewpoints arise due to differing backgrounds and walks of life. Unfortunately, with the even steeper divide between many groups of people nowadays, if you disagree with social norms, you are likely to become a target for someone who gets easily offended. Being outcasted just for having an unusual take on something is one of the worst feelings in the world. Having gone through this myself, I decided to come up with a list of 5 reasons why it's okay to have an unpopular opinion.

1. Your individuality is exemplified.

It's fairly easy to follow what everyone else is doing. Going against the grain and following your own path, however, is a much more arduous feat. Having the ability to think for ourselves and stand out from the crowd is what's so beautiful about our existence. Why would you want to compromise that just to fit in?

2. You might be saying something that others feel too intimidated to say.

If you are or have ever been a student, you probably know that awkward feeling when the teacher asks if anyone has a question and nobody responds. In at least a handful of cases, however, at least one brave soul will raise his hand and ask a question that may have been on the minds of a few other students in the class. Having an opposing position to a standard norm that many of your peers hold opens up a dialog and may open the floodgates for others around you that feel the same way.

3. We'll never be able to agree on everything.

While we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people, it doesn't mean that you will be able to agree with everything that your friends believe and vice versa. It's the whole reason we have debates and political candidates from the same party that run things differently than their compatriots. More often than not, this makes it difficult to make decisions and get things accomplished when working in a team. Rather than trying to figure out how we can come to a full agreement on an issue, a more fitting solution would be to educate ourselves on all sides of the argument, see where the other person(s) is coming from, and form a consensus from there.

4. Having a different point-of-view doesn't make you a bad person.

When I express my personal views every once in a while with my friends, I often worry about how I will come off to them. Many of my opinions conflict with theirs and I don't want to be seen as a bad person. As long as your views are not fueled by hate, you shouldn't worry. In a sense, it goes back to that old expression, "it's not what you say, but how you say it." We sometimes get so caught up in laying down our opinions that we get lost in the rhetoric that we use and may say things that hurt others. This also doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, but you could definitely break friendships and become disliked by some of your peers.

5. True friends and family will love you no matter how you see things.

Civil disagreement is healthy in any long-lasting friendship. Every once in a while, however, it comes to the point where a person can't see past your point of view and define you based on your opinions. Those people are not true friends. You should never feel the need to compromise your stance on a cause or movement that you're passionate about. Your true friends and family will hear you out and take the time to consider where you're coming from, even if they strongly oppose everything you stand for.

If you're passionate about your views and take them to heart, you should never compromise them just to maintain friendships or be liked by your peers. Be yourself, love yourself and surround yourself with good people who also value the quest for a mutual understanding.