5 Reasons Why I'm Thankful For My Sister

What would I do without you?

113
Kit Langan

As I've grown, I've realized that the majority of things in life are temporary. Very few things remain the same as time moves us on. One thing in my personal life that has remained consistent and unwavering is the bond that I share with my little sister. Regardless of the number of miles that separate us, the different routines that we go about in our daily lives, or the fact that we're four years apart in age, my sister has proven to be one of the most dependable and trustworthy constants in my life. Having a sister is undoubtedly one of the greatest gifts that I have received, and there are so many things I'd like to thank her for. To name just a few...

1. Thank you for making me laugh like no other

Throughout the years, you've seen it all. The good, the bad, and the ugly. You've witnessed first-hand all of my embarrassing moments and the ridiculous phases that I went through, and I've witnessed all of yours. Even though bringing them up makes me cringe, the stories that have evolved from our shared experiences and adventures never fail to make me laugh. The photo albums that we look through every now and then and the memories that we have to look back on remind me that we have so much to laugh at and to be thankful for. I'm so glad that we moved past the stage of our childhood that was occasionally marked by fighting over our American Girl Dolls and countless stuffed animals. Because we share the same sense of humor now, we have no problem laughing at each other for what went on back in the day.

2. Thank you for encouraging me to be a good role model and a better version of myself

You may not know it, but as we've matured, you've pushed me and encouraged me to try and be the best version of myself. I would never want to lead you down the wrong path, give you poor advice, or let you down. Because I am your older sister, I know that you will naturally look at the way that I have handled certain situations, how I have come to various decisions, and how I have personally acted during both the good times and the bad times. Knowing that you look up to me and to what I have done for guidance in your life has always served as a constant reminder for me to strive to set the best possible example for you.

3. Thank you for being the best company

One of the things I look forward to most about coming home is spending time with you. We're living in different places and are currently in different stages of our lives right now, which makes the time we get to spend with each other all the more special. Whether we sit on the couch eating ice cream until 2 in the morning while watching One Tree Hill, Friday Night Lights, or The Office or whether we go on long car rides blasting our favorite songs, you're always the one that's next to me. I never realized just how much I would miss these little things until I went away to college. You're the best company because you know me better than anyone. Even when we're apart and are busy going about our distinct daily routines, we still find the time to talk every single day. It's a good thing that distance has nothing on us!

4. Thank you for giving me advice

Even though I'm the big sister, I consistently find myself learning from you and turning to you when I'm in need of advice. You have been there for me every step of the way and have even helped me sort through some difficult situations and decisions. You know the ins and outs of all of the situations that I've needed help with. You give me your honest opinion each time that I ask for it, regardless of whether or not it's what I want to hear. You're a dependable and steady voice of reason and I know that I can always count on you to be completely honest with me. I trust you completely, and I know that your input will only help me in the long run. Like I want the best for you, I know that you want the best for me.

5. Thank you for always being there for me

Like I said before, I've found that so many things in this life are temporary, whether we like it or not. Regardless of everything that's changed in my life-- whether it be friendships, relationships, goals, or expectations-- you have remained a constant in an ever-changing world. No matter what life throws at me, I know that you will always be there to support me. No matter how far apart we are, I know that I can always call you and you'll be there. These facts are so reassuring, as so many things in this life are completely uncertain and consistently change.

So, thank you for not only being the best sister and friend that I could have asked for, but for also being a constant source of laughter, inspiration, company, and advice.