5 Reasons Why Fan-Fiction Is Okay

5 Reasons Why Fan-Fiction Is Okay

An explanation for a stigmatized reading group.

4
5 Reasons Why Fan-Fiction Is Okay
DotGrid

Whether it is about favorite band members, characters of a book, or even if it's about a specific famous person, fan fiction gathers a rather large and close knit group of people. However, there are always those who shut down fan fiction as "smut crap" and is often dismissed as nothing more than weird fantasies. With this in mind, let's crash the stigma. Here are 5 reasons why fan fiction is more than okay.

1. Fan fiction is not always "smut."

Contrary to what some may believe, many fan fictions do not include smut and are often as PG-13 as they come. Fan fictions involve characters just like any other novel or short story. Yes, some may be smut. Yes, some may be sexual or have sexual scenes. However, a vast majority of those types of fan fictions tend to warn the audience ahead of time in hopes of avoiding complications. Fan fictions have a plot and a story line, and just because a few may be considered "smut", does not me they ALL are like that.

2. Fan fiction is just like regular fiction.

This day in age, both fiction and fan fiction have come a long way. Many fan fiction writers has just as good of work as any published writer and, because of this, can be considered a good writer. Fan fictions allow an author to convey their creative outlets by using their favorite characters in different scenarios; exactly like any other piece of fiction. They use the same genres, the same thoughtful and grabbing paragraphs, and the same nail biting endings. Hannah Fortner, a high school senior in Arnold, MO, said that fan fiction is allowing young writers dabble in fiction and push for creativity and inspiration.

3. Fan fiction work isn't much different than the work fiction writers do.

Fan fiction is most often written about people or characters who already exist. However, fan fiction writers aren't the only ones to do this. In the same light, fiction writers most often create characters based on the people in their lives. The similarity in the creative process doesn't stop in character building. From connecting plots to building a scene to piecing together an entire world, fan fiction and fiction require huge amounts of creativity and dedication.

4. Fan fiction is inspiration.

Think about it like this. Younger writers do not have a chance to show their work to a broad group of people. With fan fiction, these striving authors are able to mold together a world that, yes, may have already existing characters/people as the protagonists, but prove their talents. With fan fiction, young authors are using their creativity and talents to it's full capacity. With fan fiction, young authors are keeping their dreams alive.

But, let's not forget...

5. Fan fiction is pretty freaking awesome.

Let's face it. Whether it's true smut or true fiction, fan fiction is truly awesome. Fan fiction writers can produce some of the most interesting and plot twisting stories ever created. I've read tons of fan fictions, and some were not the greatest, but some blew me out of the water. I found some fan fiction writers to be as good as Stephen King or J.K Rowling, and better than some published books. Through apps like Wattpad, and even Tumblr, fan fictions come alive and on the screen, being published for anyone to read. I highly recommend the support and reading of some fan fictions. I promise there are good ones.