5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Study Abroad

Your adventure awaits...

27
BYU Admissions

The countdown is on until I leave the country and begin my spring semester in Vienna, Austria. While there are many reasons why you should study abroad, here are my top reasons:

1. To learn a new culture

This might be the number one reason to study abroad, but learning a new culture is an idea that often goes undervalued in everyday life. Many of us are so caught up in our own problems that we do not view learning a new culture as a priority. But studying abroad can open the door to many other learning opportunities. While many of us have taken a foreign language, not many of us have really been amerced in the culture. Studying Aboard is the perfect opportunity to take the plunge into a new culture.

2. To gain independence

Many people think going off to college is the push many teenagers need to "become adults" and learn independence. However, even if you attend college in a different state, many of us still rely on our parents for advice and daily tasks. When you study abroad, you will not have the luxury of talking to your parents all the time or even be able to get home if something happens. In another country, you will not only become more mature because of your experience, but you will also take a bigger role in decision-making.

3. To meet new people

As great as we think our friends are, there are many people we would not even have the opportunity to meet if it were not for a study abroad experience. Others come from many different circumstances and backgrounds, and a study abroad is a great time to meet people your age and older who have their story to share. What many people don't realize is that in most programs, you will not only get to interact with natives or other US students, about also other study abroad students in your program from other countries and cultural backgrounds. These intercultural relationships can help enhance your knowledge of culture but also break down stereotypes about other cultures.

4. To explore the world

Ok, America is great; we have the Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, the Sears Tower, and many other beautiful landmarks. However, there is a huge world out there waiting for us to explore it! Wherever you go, there will be a new climate to experience, museum to visit, animals to discover, food to eat, music to listen to, language to speak, and so much more!

5. To become more well-rounded

Many employers say that studying abroad can make an applicant stand out on during a job search. You will learn to take responsibility, become independent, and more mature. As a young adult, this is the perfect time to learn something new about culture and yourself.

Ultimately, no matter what kind of experience you have, your perspective will broaden and your cultural knowledge will increase.