5 Reasons To Take A Break From Your Cell Phone

So take a chance, put down the phone, and see what it can change for you.
893

While the technology that fills the world is great and has so many benefits, there is also a time when it gets to be too much. There are times when we are almost too dependent on our cell phones and it would benefit us more to set them aside for just a little while; sometimes you just need a break and I'll tell you five reasons why.

1. You get a break from social media.

While social media is a great way to stay in touch with what your family and friends are doing and to keep up to date with what is going on throughout the world, there comes a time when it can also become too much. It’s almost like there is a stress that comes along with social media; how many favorites you get on a tweet or likes on a photo seem to start to define who you are on that network. Sometimes it becomes too crazy and a break from all of that can do good and you don’t have to worry if you’re getting enough likes on your status.

2. Time to yourself

I’m not saying that when you have your phone you don’t get time to yourself because you very well could, however it gives you more time to focus on you. When you have your phone there are so many things right at your fingertips, social media, texting, candy crush, pokemon go, or whatever app may catch your interest, letting go of that, just for a little while, allows you to focus on you. You’re allowed some time to yourself where you can just focus on your needs and wants and not be distracted by the technological world.

3. You find time for other things

Taking a step back from your cell phone can give you a chance to find time for other things as well. The time you would normally be scrolling through twitter or taking the perfect picture for instagram, would now be free for you to do anything you want. You may find yourself sitting around with nothing to do since you don’t have a phone there to distract you with all of it’s endless possibilities, that empty spot could make you realize that you could read that book you’ve picked up many times and was distracted from, or even just clean your room. Even though you have all of these opportunities while you have your phone, it’s easy to get distracted when you could be doing so many other things online.

4. You see what you're missing

Sometimes it is possible to get so absorbed by your cell phone that you don’t notice certain things that are going on around you. When you put your phone down and go for a walk you could notice all the little things that are passed over every day. It gives you an opportunity to really study what goes on and maybe gain some appreciation for all the little things.

5. Disconnection leads to connection

Finally, and this may be my favorite one, disconnecting from your phone opens up the chance for real connection. Although you may have great connection over the phone with the chance to message a friend, send them a picture, or even facetime them within a minute, the conversations can only go so far over your mobile devices. When you let your phone sit whether for just a few minutes or to take a break from it to eat a meal, it offers face to face communication. When you’re attached to the phone it may close those doors, something on your phone may seem more interesting that having a conversation in person but when you put it down and spend quality time with a person, relationships begin to grow much stronger, the time together more valuable and it’s pretty great.

It’s no lie that cell phones are a great thing. Having the ability to pick it up and message a friend who you haven’t heard from in a while, or call a family member in another state is an amazing gift to have, however it can also get to the point where enough is enough and it could take away from the quality of life. So take a chance, put down the phone, and see what it can change for you.