5 Reasons Why Freshmen Should Start College In The Summer

Summer C was a summer I will never forget.

6
Personal Photo

When I was first applying to colleges, I always checked the box to start the summer before. I didn't even give it a second thought. After experiencing that summer, I have zero regrets. It is something that every incoming freshman should experience and here's why!

1. You get to know the campus better.

For most of my life up to this point, I had expected to attend the University of Florida. I had only visited Florida State University once before orientation. I had no idea where anything was. Being able to be on campus when it was at its emptiest made my life much easier by the time fall semester rolled around. I felt much more prepared, and one step ahead of the game.

2. You're not bored at home. 

Instead of sitting on your couch for six weeks, you could be sitting in a friend's dorm for six weeks. Even if there is absolutely nothing to do, there is still something to do on campus.

3. It is ridiculously empty.

This will be the only time that you can actually find a spot at the library, be able to breathe at one of the popular clubs, and be able to use the elliptical at the gym. Take advantage!

4. It is so much easier to make friends.

Majority of the people on campus are incoming freshmen who are eager to make as many friends as possible. This is when everyone is at their friendliest. Not too many people are dealing with the same kind of stress they feel during fall and spring semesters, which allows people to hang out with their friends more often.

5. Almost everyone is a freshman.

This is the only time in your life that you will pretty much only be surrounded by people your own age. For me, this made me feel much more comfortable because I am one that gets intimidated by older people easily. It made me more at ease to know that almost everyone I would talk to would be my age.