5 Reasons Spending Time with Elders is Awesome

This is the season to spend time with elders and those who give us knowledge and love

611
Rosalind Marie Keeley

Spending time with elders during Christmas time leaves an impact not only on our lives, but theirs as well. It creates lasting memories.

1) They make really good food

Let's be honest: grandma makes amazing food. We all go to her house and gain at least 20 pounds from eating food there, and remember how there is always ice cream or a dessert in the fridge? Their food is always delicious, and grandparents and elders love the company that gathers around the table, not just on Christmas or Thanksgiving, but anytime of the year. The warmth and love that comes from gathering around food is unlike any other.

2) They tell great stories

Everyone loves a good story: funny, sad, romantic, or dramatic. Our elders have lived far longer than we have and thus they have had many more experiences. My grandfather has told me stories about traveling or his college experience, and my Pappy has told me about adventures on the family farmstead. The stories that an elder tells is filled with remembrance and they can then pass on wisdom through their past.

3) You can talk about yourself for an extended period of time and not feel guilty

"I remember when you were this big!" We have all heard this at least once in our lives. Some members of church or people in our neighborhoods have known us all our lives. They ask us genuinely how we are doing and what school has been like (especially at college). We can tell them all that has been going on and not feel bad because they genuinely want to know about what is going on in your life.

4) They change us

Elders have huge impacts on us in more ways than we know. They impact the way we act, and the way we treat others. Just spending time with older people and hearing and talking makes them feel appreciated and loved. Maybe a grandmother has passed on a love of music through her playing, or a grandfather his love to travel. Maybe even seeing a family friend donating time to help the homeless for over 30 years is enough to show you that we need people like these in the future.

5) They give and show us love

Spending time with elders is one way that we can see love in the simplest form. Sitting with them, and talking, or crafting, shows them that young people care. Who knows? You might even find that an elder could be your best friend. A call on the phone easily brightens their day or maybe you could even go visit someone that you haven't seen in a long time; it could make their holiday that much more special. This is the best way to spread Christmas cheer to those elders that we love so dearly.