5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Learn A Second Language

Who wants to be bilingual anyway?

2809

1. It would make you more employable.

I mean I am only going to college and going into student loan debt because I don't want a good paying job right? You are 44% more likely to get a job if you can speak more than one language.

2. You would gain a new appreciation for a different culture.

I live in Nebraska. Isn't there already enough diversity here? Why would I want to try new foods, be able to navigate through a different country with ease, and hold conversations with a bunch of different people?

3. You could make global connections.

Say I were to study abroad for some reason and meet some people from a different country. I would be able to have new lasting friendships with people throughout the world that I could potentially use in my career. But ya know, why would I want to push myself out of my comfort zone and travel and have the experience of a lifetime?

4. Speaking a second language improves problem solving, decision making, and multitasking skills.

I mean I throughly enjoy being an indecisive, unorganized procrastinator.

5. Gain confidence in yourself.

It is hard to work up the nerve to speak in front of native speaker. Do I really want to feel accomplished when I am able to help out in a situation when someone doesn't speak English?

As you can tell this article is extremely sarcastic. Learning a second language is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. Maybe it is just the communications major in me talking, but I want to be able to communicate with as many people as I can. Why limit yourself to speaking one language? It is a slow process yes, but it took you awhile to master English as well. Keep working at it!

Sincerely,

A Spanish Minor