5 Reasons To Read Shakespeare

5 Reasons To Read Shakespeare

"Vile worm, thou wast o’erlook’d even in thy birth."

10575
5 Reasons To Read Shakespeare
Biography

Many people think Shakespeare is intimidating and worse than death. To those of you who think that: you are wrong! Reading Shakespeare is helpful in your everyday life and will help give your life meaning (wow-deep). Here are the top five reasons why you should read Shakespeare.

1. It will increase your vocabulary

Who wouldn't want to increase their vocabulary? If anything it helps you understand more difficult texts. The more you read, the easier it will be.

2. To impress or surprise others

When hanging out with your friends it would be shocking to them when you come back with a Shakespearean insult like, "You abilities are too infant-like for doing much alone," or "O braggart vile and damned furious wight!" Not only would you leave them in awe of your vocabulary, you will leave them wonder what the f*ck you just said to them.

3. Historical Context

You can take a history class and learn all about the 1600's and never take away as much as you would be reading some of Shakespeare's work. Just by reading "The Tempest" you get an idea of what people were interested in (spoiler-it's magic). It is more interesting to learn about history through a play or sonnet in comparison to a boring history textbook.

4. Insight on human behavior

Shakespeare is known for his accuracy on human behavior regardless of the time period it was written. Although he was writing in early 1600's the emotions the characters have are just as relate-able then as they are today. The characters are deeply layered and experience temptations, pain, love, and so many other things we know to be true about real people. It will help you develop stronger social intelligence and personal ethics.

5. It is a challenge

Shakespeare will challenge your faculties and increase your IQ. Reading is known to be a great way to gain brain-power, and the classics (especially Shakespeare) are a smart choice because of all the lessons you can take away from them. Being challenged by Shakespeare's vocabulary is not the only thing you will gain by reading his works; you will also be building your critical thinking skills.