5 Reasons I Love Creative Writing

5 Reasons I Love Creative Writing

Creative writing has been a part of my life since kindergarten, and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

1188
5 Reasons I Love Creative Writing

am a writer. I write excessively. I have penned exactly three novels of 60,000 words or more (none of which I have any intention of ever publishing), I've written over 200 poems (115 of which were in the last six months), and if I'm doing anything other than paying attention in class, I guarantee it's using figurative language to describe my surroundings. I am the president of the Creative Writing Club at my school because creative writing is infused in every part of my life—if I'm not writing at the moment, I'll be writing about the moment later. There are so many reasons I love writing, but here are just a few.

1. It is a stress reliever.

Sitting down at my desk or on my bed after a long, stressful school day and writing a poem, short story or adding another chapter to a novel I've been working on is the best stress reliever I could ever ask for. I get to unwind, relax, and create something out of literally nothing—which, if you ask me, is pretty amazing all by itself.

2. It's a great way to vent my feelings.

Instead of blowing up at someone or crying, writing is a way to channel my negative feelings into something positive. Whether it's through writing about a completely different subject or expressing those negative feelings in poetry, writing provides a place to vent in a healthy and productive manner.

3. I'm in control of what I write.

Our world is chaotic and messy, capable of changing at any moment; we are never truly in control of our lives. Writing is a place where I am always in control, no matter what happens; I control the narrative, the characters, and the plot line. It provides a feasible way to relieve my anxiety and stress, especially during the school year.

4. It provides an opportunity to self-reflect.

I know it may sound odd—how can fictional writing provide an opportunity for self-reflection?—but writing often reveals truths about ourselves that we don't consciously understand. For example, I create characters all the time that reflect a certain flaw in myself that I didn't even recognize before rereading my work about that character. Self-awareness is a key part of surviving in this world, and writing enhances my self-awareness.

5. It challenges me to think outside the box.

The best writing pieces are the ones that make you think, the ones that you never could have imagined on your own. Writing forces me to think outside the box, to continue to develop and complicate storylines and characters while still maintaining central themes, ideas and unity.

There are a thousand other reasons I love writing. It's an incredible opportunity to express, explore, and discover myself, as well as the people around me, and I wouldn't give up writing for the world. I know that in my life I will always make time to write because without it, I would have never uncovered half the things I now know about myself. It is something I recommend that everyone try at least once in their life because you never know—your entire perspective could change simply by penning one poem.