5 Reasons Why Denton, Texas Is The Best Small Town

And you thought it was just a boring small town....

349
Ink 361

Denton, Texas, has been on the radar for quite some time now and has continuously grown in the recent 50 years. Denton is notorious for being a rather large city with a cozy small-town feel. With its balance of liberal arts college students and true Texan Southern hospitality, this city has to be on the top of your list to visit soon — and here is why.

1. One of the best parts of Denton is the food. From the food trucks, to the cafe's, fast food drive-thrus, even delicious burger joints, it's hard enough trying to decide which places to eat at, but I did my best to narrow it down to three.

Seven Mile Cafe has the most amazing breakfast and lunch menu. Their vast assortments of breakfast food and a la cart combinations will make it impossible to decide what to order. (Hint: you can't go wrong with their breakfast tacos and delicious salsa) Don't want to eat? Head next door to their Seven Mile Coffee and enjoy a nice cup of Joe.

La Sabrocita is your classic hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that you can't get enough of. It's a perfect combination of fantastically greasy and deliciously satisfying (that you might regret later, but it was worth it). Some say it makes the best late night/hangover food in town. Careful Crooked Crust Pizza, they're giving you a run for your money.

LSA (Lone Star Attitude)Burger has always been and will be my favorite restaurant in Denton, Texas. From their warm southern hospitality staff, to their perfectly cooked burgers, all the way to their top floor patio that gives you the entire view of the Denton Square. Live bands come and play many times a week and there's even fun facts about Texas Country artists that play in the bathrooms. If the people or the food don't get ya, it's definitely their eye-catching painting of "The Great Texas Supper," staring all the Texas country music legends and Jesus, of course. They were also featured on a previous Odyssey article on the 14 Best Places To Eat In Texas.

2. Denton not only is a growing town for families and a large grade school district, but it also hold two nationally recognized Universities.

The University of North Texas is home to over 37,000 students and has one of the best music colleges in the nation. UNT is constantly growing in size and numbers. They're not only a recognized liberal arts school in Texas, but also have highly recognized MBA and Graduate school programs.

Texas Women's University, founded in 1901, began admitting men to their campus in 1972. TWU has quickly evolved from a small college into a growing University. They have campuses in Denton, Dallas and Houston.

3. Apart from the amazing things to explore during the daytime, the nightlife scene is one to experience as well.

Fry Street has a collection of bars and fast food joints on their small strip just right off of UNT. Aimed towards broke 21-year-old college kids, their cheap drink prices will be enough for you to stay awhile and continuously come back. There are a wide variety of bars and are different in their own way from the upbeat and club vibes of Tavern or Public House to more relaxed and low key bars such as Lucky Lou's or Cool Beans. The best part? Crooked Crust Pizza, open until 3 a.m. on the weekends, makes the most delicious, mouth-watering pizza I've ever had the pleasure of putting into my mouth. Great for late night food cravings or heating up in the morning for leftovers.

The Square has a more mature atmosphere than Fry Street. There are a large selection of bars and restaurants on the square and right off of it. There are always bands playing at venues or right on the lawn of the courthouse. There are several boutiques, coffee shops, and antique stores, my personal favorite the Recycled Bookstore, is one of Denton's best hidden gems. The square is far from boring, there is always something going on and things to do.

4. It doesn't stop there, Denton is also widely known for their music as well. Music is a huge part of why Denton, Texas, is so amazing.

Oaktopia and 35 Denton are Denton's two largest music festivals held yearly. Mostly featuring local bands, these weekend music events shine a light on local bands and take place on the Denton square. Most surrounding shops and restaurants participate in these festivals and either pitch a tent or allow special access to people partaking in the festivals. These festivals are a great example of the relaxed and fun Denton atmosphere, maybe even shows a little bit of the weird side of Denton, too.

5. If you're looking for sunshine or weekend fun, look no further. Denton has got you covered. Aside from the many amazing places to eat, hangout, listen to great music and then eat some more, Denton has many different activities and places to hang out at.

Wiggly Field Dog Park, located on the other side of Highway 35. This is a four-legged favorite in Denton. This is hands down one of the nicest dog parks around and is very well kept. There are designated areas for certain kind of dogs and play, even adventurous trails to hike on with your furry best friend.

Audacity Brew House has brewery tours, live music, yoga, and many other events they host. Audacity brews a wide variety of main line and seasonal craft beers. Their taproom is open six days a week, closed on Monday's, so come on down and try a beer or two or seven and enjoy the great atmosphere and events going on that day.

Whether you're a local or you've never stepped foot on our town, Denton is a place to experience once in your life, and if you're like me you'll decide it's just weird enough to decide to live in.