5 Realistic 2017 New Year Goals

5 Realistic 2017 New Year Goals

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."-Larry Elder

21
5 Realistic 2017 New Year Goals
Big Background

Well, the time is upon us. The time of going to the gym, and barely being able to get a lift that takes less than an hour due to all of the "New-Year, New-Me" individuals. The time where you see everybody suddenly becomes inspired to eat every healthy food in sight, and to cut out all of those sweets and bad calories. The time where you hear students proclaim, "This semester is going to be so different, because I'm going to rock Straight A's, even if I haven't earned anything more than a B!" The time where you see all of the Facebook posts of people wanting to be included in society more by putting down their phones, and hardly ever looking at them.

While all of these resolutions for the new year are grand and extraordinary in thought, that's exactly the point. Most of these resolutions people conjure up before they say farewell to the old, and welcome in the new with drunkenness and good times, end up to be just thoughts that are left on the wayside for next year. Well, if there's something I've learned throughout this interesting year, it's the fact that you can't let yourself take everyday for granted. Just a little less than a week ago, we heard of Carrie Fisher suffering from a heart attack, and was put into critical condition. A couple days after that, I read an article that said she was in better condition, but then she ended up passing away only 3 days ago from today. Not only that, but then her mother passed only one day after Carrie had. Carrie and Debbie only add to the horrific list of celebrities who have inspired, entertained, and motivated at least somebody while they were alive. The point I'm making is why wait until next year, since we may not have next year? I am a firm believer in living each and every day as if that day was our last one on Earth. So, I've put together a pretty basic list of realistic New Year's GOALS for 2017 I have for myself, and you are more than welcome to mooch off of the list if you so choose.

1. I will only eat-out no more than twice a week (not counting the drunk bar food).

We all know it's practically impossible to tell ourselves that we're cutting out fast food or going out to a restaurant for 2017. This can cause unnecessary stress, and why would we want to shoot down chances to catch up with a friend over lunch or dinner? Not to mention that we might need a meal out with ourselves to get going on a good book, or to figure out what we want in a date. Once you commit yourself to limiting the amount of times you do eat-out, that's when going to a restaurant becomes a treat, instead of just a routine thing. For all of you college students, according to The Boston Globe, the average American spent $11.84 for a meal prepared at-home that had the same portions and choices chosen from Outback Steakhouse, which was $23.84 for a meal per person. We're already broke college students, so why dig the hole even deeper?

2. I will go out to the bars AT LEAST 3 times MAXIMUM PER WEEK.

...I know you're not going to tell me you're cutting out alcohol for the entire year of 2017. I absolutely have no belief in you, unless you're quite strong in your faith, and decided to give up alcohol for Lent. Now this is not to be confused with giving up one specific type of alcohol, which I am doing so in giving up beer for Lent. Everybody knows some of the greatest times of college are made by going out the bars, and getting drunk with your friends. While this is all splendid and enjoyable, alcohol can be dangerous. Alcohol has been known to have health benefits, BUT IN MODERATION. According to The Mayo Clinic, moderate consumption of alcohol can reduce the risk of developing and possibly dying from heart disease, reduce the risk of ischemic stroke, and possibly reduce the risk of diabetes. Forbes also states it's much better for you to consume 2 drinks per day, rather than blow it all on a Friday night, responsibly of course. If you still want to drink with the boys, but may want to stay away from the alcohol loaded with calories and things making you have the dad-bod, check out the list by Gizmodo.

3. I will raise my grades, and do my best to obtain Straight A's

I'm absolutely a perfectionist when it comes to most things, but grades are in the top 5 of those most things. Your GPA may not define what kind of student you are, but it sure does give you some damn good recognition throughout your college career, as well as when you finally walk across that stage to have your diploma mailed to you. This past semester, I definitely was not proud of my grades, nor my GPA for the semester, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let it define me as a student for the rest of my life. It means I'm going to do my best to immensely improve my grades for this coming semester. I have learned two crucial lessons taking my finals this past semester, and I can't believe it took me until my first semester of my junior year at college to learn these lessons. It is ABSOLUTELY OKAY to ask questions, and NEVER BE ASHAMED to be one of the last students in your class taking a test, or staying after the bell to talk to your professor. College is about meeting new people, bettering yourself, and definitely building connections that will take you places within your future career. This will not happen unless you actually take the time to build those connections, and make that time to do so. Maybe you just need some help on how to study, so here's a list of 10 study habits that have been effective for an average college student by Centura College. Just remember to thank me when you finally get that 4.0 you've always dreamed about.

4. I will spend at least 2 hours planning my week every Sunday (the day may change depending on my schedule)

Life gets busy, and people get busy. This happens, and that's alright. However, that is why people invented planners! I have one for my daily class assignments, as well as my weekly schedule. I'm going to admit that I haven't been the greatest at putting the planners to their full use, but that will change in 2017. Take the time one day every week to sit down, and plan out the rest of that week. When people ask you if you can meet at a specific time, you can whip out your planner like the young adult you are, and tell them if you can "pencil them in". Come on, I know you've always wanted to tell somebody that...Life Hack gives you 6 steps on how to effectively do this, so you already have no excuse if you're reading this article. Not to mention that you'll also start to feel the stress of time management or lack thereof start to be lifted from your shoulders. For us students, we should take every chance in order to make that happen.

5. I will interact with the world and society more

Just put down your phone more often. I'm not asking to have a full-blown conversation with a stranger you're sitting next to on the train, or maybe I am. I'm definitely asking for you to just be a regular person though. Talk to people who are actually in front of you, and spend the time to share your stories. This world has become so full of instant gratification, it's a drug to us. Well, I am here to help you rehab this addiction out. Research indicates your cell phone can become legitimately addictive, as if it was a blunt of Mary Jane, or a 12-pack too many. Science News For Students states the average college student spends 9 hours on his/her cellphone, and that's less than what this student sleeps every night. So, when you're at home over break, or living with your future spouse, put the device down. Spend your time with those actually around you, because that is how connections are made, sturdy friendships are built, and you may actually learn something different about yourself.

While these are only 5 of my New Year's Goals, I have quite the list made for myself with many more I didn't have the chance to mention in this article. I do hope you take some of my words (maybe) to heart, and actually consider sharing at least one or two of these goals with me. Thank you for taking the time out of your Netflix-filled day of lounging to read this list. Happy New Year, and let's make 2017 a year to remember.