5 Myths about Mormons

5 Myths about Mormons

Misconceptions about the beliefs of Mormons

773
5 Myths about Mormons
Mormon Women

Lindsey Stirling. Violinist and youtuber.

David Archuleta. Runner up in American Idol and now successful music artist.

Kevin Olusola. Beatboxer of Pentatonix.

Jon Heder. Starred in Napoleon Dynamite as Napoleon.

Dan Reynolds. Lead singer of Imagine Dragons.

What do these people have in common? They are all Mormon. How many Mormons have you met? Maybe a coworker or your dentist or the checker at the grocery store? Or maybe you’ve seen the giant white buildings called Temples? Or two young men on bicycles in white shirts with name tags? Mormons are just people like you and me who go to work and the store and are quite friendly. But for a long time, people have believed things about Mormons that simply aren’t true. It’s time some of these myths are “debunked.” Here are five of these myths and an explanation of why they are false:

Mormons Practice Polygamy

This seems to be the one Hollywood and the media like to poke fun at the most. Let me tell you once and for all the Mormons do not practice polygamy (having more than one wife). Former President of the Church Gordon B. Hinckley said, “This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church.... If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church.” This misconception was started because in the very early days of the church, before the United States outlawed it, polygamy was practiced. However, it has not been a part of Mormon culture for over a hundred years.

Mormons Worship Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith was the founder of the Mormon church. He translated the Book of Mormon and organized the church. Mormons revere him as a prophet of God but understand that he was a mortal man. They teach about him and his story and recognize his importance in bringing about the restored gospel. They do not pray to him or view him as a god but as a prophet of God.

Mormons Don't Believe in the Bible

Joseph Smith wrote 13 "Articles of Faith" that outline some of the core beliefs of the church. Article of Faith number 8 states: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God." The Bible is read and studied alongside the Book of Mormon in Mormon households and church meetings. They believe in the teachings of Christ in the New Testament along the stories of the prophets of old and the creation in the Old Testament. On the cover of every Book of Mormon it states "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" meaning that it is supplementary to the Bible.

The Mormon Religion is a Cult

I actually researched what defined a cult and this is what I came up with. Mitch Horowitz wrote a scholarly article on the difference between new religions and cults. He said there are 6 main attributes of a cult: behavior control, information control, thought control, emotional control, financial control, and extreme leadership. But the Mormon church stresses and teaches the God-given gift of free agency. That God has given his children the right to choose for themselves. The leadership of the church do not control anything their members do and their members are free to stay or leave the church. Horowitz also said, “every coercive religious group harbors one telltale trait: untoward secrecy. As opposed to a cult, a religious culture ought to be as simple to enter or exit, for members or observers, as any free nation…Its doctrine need not be conventional— but it should be knowable to outsiders.” Missionaries representing the Mormon church are literally sent around the world to tell everyone about what they believe and invite them to their church. That doesn't sound like a secretive cult to me.

Mormons aren't Christian

Gordon B. Hinckley once said, “Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pray and worship in the name of Jesus Christ. He is the center of our faith and the head of our Church." Ask any member of this church and they will adamantly tell you of their faith in Christ. Jesus Christ is the center of Mormon beliefs. They believe in the atonement and in the resurrection of Christ. The Twelve Apostles, leaders of the church, published a declaration of their belief in Christ. This document, entitled, "The Living Christ" bears witness of this belief: “We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God."

There are many other misconceptions and misunderstandings about what Mormons believe. But the funny thing is, there are so many sources that tell the real truth and still people are satisfied believing the crazy stuff rather than finding out for themselves. There are two websites (mormon.org and lds.org) that has all the information about what Mormons believe. Missionaries are everywhere, ready and willing to answer any questions. And if you happen to know a Mormon, just ask! Most are very friendly and would love to answer any questions you have!