The 5 Most Awkward First-Week-of-Class Situations

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: syllabus week.

29

Not only is syllabus week fully dedicated to going out, but also classes are (usually) short and sweet. However, it doesn’t always go as smoothy as planned. Here are the most awkward and uncomfortable situations possible… prepare accordingly..

1. The dreaded partner situation: Everyone pairs up and you’re stuck.
Teacher: Who doesn’t have a partner?
Me: I don’t have a partner.
Teacher: ‘Will anyone let her join your group?’ 

or even worse: 

Teacher: ’Ok, I’ll be your partner!’ 

2. The Wrong classroom: Walking into the wrong class with confidence and having to walk out when they don’t call your name. Good luck squeezing through the 10 inches between desks that the university calls an 'aisle'.

3. Icebreakers: Whether it’s ‘two truths and a lie’, or fun facts, they all are terrible.
Teacher: What’s a fun fact about you? 
Me: I already hate you. 

4. Awkward encounters: Making eye contact with people you know you’ve met multiple times (probably intoxicated) and you still have no idea who they are. Do you say hi? Do you smile? I don't know, but my palms are sweating. 

5. Tripping: Whether the steps in large lecture halls or in the lair, this is an action you simply cannot recover from. It's also extremely likely because of the amount of steps through the campus.

Hopefully you get away with a smooth and fun syllabus week. But if any of these unfortunate events occur, you're not alone. All of these situations are from experience.