5 Meaningful Lessons I Learned From My Boyfriend

"It's okay to be wrong, It's okay to be scared, it is NOT okay to give up."

625
Nicole Talbot

Relationships are one of the most beautiful and complicated facets of life we can endure as humans. It is one of our most sought after goals to find "the one", the person who helps make this crazy life make sense. Relationships take time, they take patience, and they take a lot of learning about who you are as a person. I think that is my absolute favorite thing about relationships, learning about you. Not just the great relationships either, I have done my best soul searching after an awful break-up and even after a short relationship, it doesn't matter.

I consider myself to be extremely lucky, I found him. "The one", the guy who changed it all and turned everything upside down. I met Matt about 4 years ago, when I was in a previous not so great relationship. I would complain and lean on his shoulder and stay stuck in something I wasn't happy in. You know what Matt did? He stayed by my side, he was there no matter what, and I think that was my sign. He wanted to be in my life no matter what our relationship was, friends or romantic. Fast forward to today, and I could not imagine being with anyone else. And guess what? It is still difficult. Our relationship is not perfect and that is okay. We are still learning about each other every day and are ready to take on anything life may throw our way. As every one in this world I have been through things I never thought I could get through from a loss of a parent to attempting to finally finish college. Yes, I have put in the work but Matt has been my support through it all and has made my life journey that much sweeter. Out of any relationship I truly believe I have learned the most meaningful lessons from him.

1. It's okay to be scared.

I am that girl that will second guess everything. I am not a jump in head first type of person, nor will I ever be. He taught me that that's okay. Along with being an anxious second-guesser, I am a genuine scaredy-cat. I hate needles, I hate heights, I don't like rollercoasters, and don't ever take me to the dentist. All of those "flaws" about me are okay, and he taught me that lesson. He taught me how to be brave and to face the fear standing in front of me. Because you know what? It probably isn't that scary, but sometimes you need that right person to hold your hand along the way.

2. It's okay to be wrong.

This was a hard one. Probably the lesson that is the trickiest in most relationships. You have to be able to be humble, and understand you will not always be right. As we get older we start to learn to see things in a different perspective, especially from our significant other's perspective. There are times you will want to scream and shake them until they see it your way, that's the 3 year-old in you. With the lesson comes being able to truly apologize. We make mistakes, and it is important to realize it's okay to be wrong.

3. It's okay to relax.

I am a neat freak like no other. I am the one that cannot leave the house with dishes in the sink or an unmade bed. This type of living is definitely exhausting and can add extra stress in you and your significant other's lives. You can start to resent them, why doesn't the mess nauseate them as much as you?? Or if you're lucky, every once in a while when your stress levels are about to put you in cardiac arrest, you can have a very special someone to help remind you that it is okay to not do anything and just binge watch terrible T.V. The dishes will be there tomorrow, the vacuuming can wait until later, and we are going pumpkin picking.

4. It's okay to be a hot mess.

I have never in my life met anyone as patient as Matt. I mean I put that boy through a lot. There is nothing I do that doesn't surprise him. In 24 hours I somehow managed to not only misplace my own license and debit card, but also his. Shaking with panic about how I was going to explain this to him, he just looks and me, smiles, and says he can just order a new one. WHO is that calm?? He has taught me things happen, and you can either stress out about it even more, or just fix the issue and move on.

5.It's NOT okay to give up.

If you haven't noticed I am not perfect, and the purpose of this article isn't to make you think he is perfect either. The idea is that the right person for you will love your imperfections and stay along for the ride. I have a lot of goals and aspirations in this crazy life and I want someone who will remind me what is important in the grand scheme of things. Quitting is not an option in my mind. It makes daily tasks and activities so much more enjoyable having someone with the same mentality. I could decide to join the circus and Matt will support me all the way as long as I am giving it my all and I am happy. Don't stop chasing your dreams, wether it is a best friend, family member, or boyfriend, there is someone who is ready to stand by you with all the support and love in the world.