5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From The Men Of "Queer Eye"

Let the Fab Five inspire your life - not just the heroes on screen!

310
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkyy30bFqTP/?hl=en&taken-by=antoni
@antoni

"Queer Eye" is a Netflix original series by David Collins remade from the mid-2000s show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Every episode is an emotional and inspiring ride. I bundle up with a soft blanket and cry almost every time because it brings me so much joy to watch the oh-so Fabulous Five push a person to examine themselves inside and out, makeover their outer beauty, and help them radiate in their inner beauty! It is so motivational to watch such grand transformations and feel inspired to look at ourselves and address what inner and outer beauty we possess and to let go of fear to let the world see it!

When Season One ended, I was legitimately upset. These episodes were so feel-good that I couldn't believe it was just over so when Season Two showed up on Netflix, guess who ran to the television…?

While it is enjoyable (and hilarious) to watch the Fab Five makeover various individuals throughout Georgia, I think we all could use their advice even when we aren't watching it. This show moves past a funny show about gay guys making over people who desperately need help. This show sheds light on the parts of our lives that we may or may not pay enough attention to or allow enough time and energy for. Let's take their advice and let the Fab Five encourage us even when they aren't strutting their stuff on the screen.

1. Antoni Porowski reminds us that food is easier than we make it out to be.

Ah, food. It's probably the first thing most people push to the side when life gets busy. Who has time to make homemade sauces or fresh appetizers every day? Yet there are ways to create habits that allow those special touches to our meals that beat a frozen meal any day. Food isn't just a function, it's meant to be enjoyed.

Besides being a little bias to Antoni (he's my personal favorite of the five), I think food is amongst the most important aspect of life we all need to hold onto. Food is a vital part of our health. If our bodies aren't happy, they aren't going to look or feel happy. Fresher meals and personal achievements over making homemade dishes make a big difference in how we perceive our everyday. Thanks for being a realistic advocate for good healthy food, Antoni!

2. "You are strong. You are a Kelly Clarkson song!" - Jonathan Van Ness

Sunscreen, girl!! Jonathan is the queen of hysterical one-liners and broadcasting our mushiest feelings. He also tends to be the one to break the ice when individuals are intimidated by the Fab Five. I mean, if five gorgeous men knocked on my door and decided to change my life, I'd be a bit scared. But hey, you have to be scared to be brave and confidence takes bravery!

Jonathan has such a keen eye for grooming people not for the sake of looking good but for the sake of being comfortable in their own skin and something they'll realistically put time into every day. What's the point of a rocking haircut if you aren't going to put in the effort to shape it to its fabulousness? Often we wake up, look in the mirror, and our focus is not to walk out the front door with major bed head. Having a simple but YOU hairstyle and healthy skin helps the face and spirit glow!

3. "Making an effort means you're serious about the life that you want." - Tan France

Something Tan says in a majority of the episodes is that even if you aren't willing to put time into your wardrobe and grooming, you should be willing to for your partner. Initially, years of believing the people who love you should love you exactly as you are flood through my mind. But as more episodes passed and he said it more often, I realized what he meant. It's not that someone won't love you when you aren't the best version of yourself, but putting in some effort for them shows them that you care enough about them to do so.

While most of the clothes Tan shops for are out of most millennials' budgets, he offers great advice like shapes of pants and shirts that flatter the best parts of our bodies. He's also a constant reminder that we all need to throw away those t-shirts from 10 years ago and organize our closets so we have access to everything at all times.

​4. It's all about function to Bobby Berk!

Bobby has shown us examples of decluttering the floor with more efficient storage and rearranging corners of the house to organize work versus home or parents versus children. Even though most of us won't ever get the luxury of an incredibly talented professional redoing our entire home, we can take his strategies and declutter our own space. I know The Container Store brings me bliss. Organization is key to less stress (which all of us need).

Also, shout out to Bobby for having the biggest job of all. He redoes entire homes in one week which is CRAZY. Serious kudos to quick and stellar ideas and execution.

5. "You got this, boo." - Karamo Brown

Ugh, we all need some Karamo in our lives. He has an incredible intuition that allows him to cater to each individual and what they need to build their confidence that isn't related to appearance. The moment he realizes what someone's biggest fear or setback is, he knows exactly what activity or challenge they need to start moving past it. While it can be hard to see that sort of thing about yourself from the first perspective, it's good to think about what scares you and contemplating how you can overcome that fear and what doors that could open for you. Live your best life and know how AWESOME you are!

"Cheers queers!"

Every individual has something to share. We all need that little (or huge) kick to push ourselves to be the best version that we can be. Here's to individuality and being confident!