​5 Life Lessons "Breaking Bad" Taught Me

“I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive.”

282

1. Life’s Too Short to Fear the Unknown

"I have spent my whole life scared, frightened of things that could happen, might happen, might not happen, 50-years I spent like that. Finding myself awake at three in the morning. But you know what? Ever since my diagnosis, I sleep just fine. What I came to realize is that fear, that’s the worst of it. That’s the real enemy. So, get up, get out in the real world and you kick that bastard as hard you can right in the teeth." – Walter White

It’s okay to fear the future – but don’t live your life in fear of what could happen, because you may miss out on something really awesome. The future is scary, and taking chances is scary, but the thing about it is that the future will still be lingering. Sometimes it’s better to say “Oh well” than “What if.” Live passionately and vividly; after all, life is what you make it, so go out with a bang.

2. Family is Everything

"What the hell is wrong with you? We're a family!" – Walter White

People come and go, but family is forever. At the end of the day, your friends may not always stick around, and the man you love may just break your heart, but family will always be there. Let nothing get between you and your family, not even your pride. Your family is everything – they provide love, support, and endless care.

3. Education is Important

"Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!" – Jesse Pinkman

If Jesse Pinkman taught you nothing else, he taught you that education is important. As someone who didn’t do well in school, something he remembered from his high school Chemistry class (with a little bit of help) helped him create and maintain a business that he never imagined he could be apart of. Learning fundamental skills such as reading, writing, and mathematics can actually take you extremely far in life.

4. Sometimes it’s OK to be Selfish

"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive" – Walter White

At the end of the day, you have to live for yourself. While some choices we make aren’t the best for everyone else, it’s okay. Living for other people won’t bring you all of the joy that you deserve. By no means am I saying to live selfishly throughout your entire lifetime, but remember that it’s okay to put yourself first. If you find something that you’re good at, go do it. If you find that you have an odd interest, explore it. Nothing is worse than not doing something because other people don’t approve, because at the end of the day, your happiness matters.

5. Stand Up for Yourself

"F*CK YOU BOGDAN! AND YOUR EYEBROWS!" – Walter White

One can only handle so much mistreatment. Whether it be a boss, a friend, or a terrible significant other, enough is enough. Throughout your life, people are going to push your limits. Don’t take mistreatment – call them out on it. Don’t allow yourself to constantly be someone’s punching bag.

P.S. Some people have some really rough eyebrows, and they need to know.