5 LGBTQ+ Artists You Need To Listen To

5 LGBTQ+ Artists You Need To Listen To

Music is about to get queer.

394
5 LGBTQ+ Artists You Need To Listen To
Maxresdefault

I love music. When I am upset or angry, the right song can just lift me right back up again. When I'm happy, music is there to share in my joy. It's great like that.

The music we listen to can range from Top 40 that everyone knows to the very niche that are only known to a few. However, in a patriarchal society where cisgender, heterosexual, white men rule the scene, anyone else making the same works of art can often hit a wall.

Luckily, this is starting to change. As a queer sometimes-musician, I like to listen to other queer musicians, especially after I noticed that most of the songs I had on my iPhone were performed by straight cis white men. Luckily, that's begun to change, especially over the last year or so.

Here are some of my favorites. Whether it's anarchist punk or poppy delight, there's a queer artist out there, making it. And so much of it is amazing.

1. Julien Baker

Genre: Acoustic/singer-songwriter/emo

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Identifies as: Queer

I was introduced to Julien Baker by my friend Corey, who was introduced to her by his girlfriend. At 20, she's the youngest person on this list, but she's far from the most immature. With songs like "Vessels," "Funeral Pyre" and "Rejoice," her songwriting reflects a person with wisdom beyond her years. She's also open about her beliefs and her upbringing as a Christian queer girl from Tennessee. Her honesty is everything one could ever want from a singer-songwriter, and It's chilling, breathtaking and beautiful.

"Wish I could write songs about anything other than death," she croons on her album's title track.

Don't worry, Julien. When it comes to singing about death, you're among the best in the game.

Song suggestions: "Go Home" "Funeral Pyre" "Sprained Ankle"

2. Troye Sivan

Genre: Pop

Pronouns: He/him/his

Identifies as: Gay

Troye Sivan had quite the YouTube following before becoming a bit of a pop hit. One of the singles from his most recent album, "BLUE NEIGHBORHOOD," entitled, "YOUTH," was played on repeat by my local Top 40 radio station, a fact I was both annoyed by and (as I have watched Sivan's YouTube videos since before he came out three years ago) very proud of. Sivan is a lot like your typical male pop star; he's flamboyant, his songs are catchy, and his songs are the type you could dance to no matter your mood. But there is also, like with Julien Baker, a sense of honesty there. The song, "BITE," for example, is about Sivan's first time going to a gay club. "["BITE"] is about] just being so taken aback by the sticky floor, the shirtless men and everything else. I really wanted to capture that chaos, basically," Sivan said in an interview with Pop Buzz.

From quirky love songs to ballads about the torture of self-hate, Sivan is pop, but deep.

Song suggestions: "Happy Little Pill" "YOUTH" "HEAVEN" "TALK ME DOWN" "for him."

3. Tegan and Sara

Genre: Punk/singer-songwriter/rock/pop

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Identify as: Lesbian identical twins

The genre of Tegan and Sara Quin's music has changed drastically over their two decades long career, from 2004's angry "So Jealous" to their most recent release, 2016's cheerful pop hit "Love You To Death." Their long career has cemented their place in the LGBTQ community as icons to such an extent that listening to them is almost a rite of passage in some circles. Now, they've begun to finally step into the mainstream, and they're turning pop on its head. "Boyfriend," their lead single off "Love You To Death," is a gay anthem, while their newest music video for "Faint of Heart" is clear and proud in its message about the triumphs and trials the LGBTQ+ community faces, from unsupportive parents to bathroom bills. And, despite their changes, they have retained a loyal fanbase, always eager to eat up whatever it is these Canadians have for us next.

Song Suggestions: "The Con" "Call it Off" "Stop Desire" "Alligator" "Closer"

4. Frank Ocean

Genre: R&B/Hip-Hop

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Identifies as: Bisexual

Frank Ocean was originally a man who lurked in the shadows, writing songs for other artists before dropping his hit 2012 album, "Channel ORANGE." It was with that album that Ocean also came out, using both masculine and feminine pronouns in his songs. Ocean came out in a letter posted to his Tumblr, revealing that he had once fallen in love with a man. In the letter, Ocean states, ""I feel like a free man. If I listen closely... I can hear the sky falling too." While Odd Future, the collective Ocean is a part of, has received criticism for homophobic lyrics, his coming out is an important step for the fight in equality for LGBTQ communities in the Hip-Hop community.

Song Suggestions: "Thinkin Bout You" "Pink Matter" "Bad Religion"

5. Against Me!

Genre: Punk/Anarchist Punk

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Identifies as: Trans*

Lead singer Laura Jane Grace came out as trans* in 2012, and in 2014 the band's acclaimed album "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" was released upon the world. The album is a concept album about a transgender prostitute that speaks to the harsh realities and beautiful truths about being trans*. The songs are raw, and Grace has an edge that is difficult to find in nearly any genre of music that is both refreshing and inspiring. And few can compete with that.

Song Suggestions: "True Trans Soul Rebel" "Haunting, Haunted, Haunts" "F**KMYLIFE666"

(Any more LGBTQ+ artists you think I or anyone else should know about? Leave them in the comments!)