5 Lessons I Learned From My First Semester of College

My experiences taught me far more than any textbook could.

38
Pacific Union College

As unbelievable as it seems, I have already completed my first semester of college. I still have a long journey ahead, seeing as I plan to obtain a doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology. However, my first semester of college has taught me many valuable things already. I can now solve a confidence interval and write a 12-page research paper in APA format. But the most important lessons are those that are learned from experience, not read out of a highly overpriced textbook. My experiences during my first semester of college has taught me this:

1. Life gets better after high school

During my freshman and sophomore year of high school, I was severely depressed. I constantly compared myself to other girls, despising my own image in the process. My circle of friends was limited, and those in it were members of other circles that were far more preferable. I felt a constant state of pressure to look and act a certain way. Though I was rarely a part of any drama, I hated being involved in anything confrontational.

In college, none of that matters. For the most part, everyone is indifferent to your actions. You can wear the same sweatpants for three days in a row and nobody thinks twice about it. The immature drama diminishes, because everyone has become focused on their own lives instead of worrying about their peers' actions. You meet many new people, and realize that there are a vast number of experiences to explore. Life tends to feel less mundane as your schedule may vary from one day to the next. When I was in high school, I was convinced that life would be perpetually miserable. Now, I can genuinely say that it gets better.

2. High school does little to prepare you for college

Seriously though, how do you pay taxes? Why did all high school teachers expect assignments in MLA format when APA is used for almost every subject in college, with the exception of English? How does one effectively study for a final exam? And why does the final only count for 10% of your grade in high school when it counts for 25% in some college classes?

These are just some of many questions I have regarding the educational system. I understand that high school classes provide a foundation for certain topics, allowing students to explore a variety of subject material. However, I often found myself beyond confused in my Biology 101 class. My biology teacher in high school did not do a single lab; when it came to college, petri dishes and LabQuests were foreign objects. Many of my classmates felt similarly about our Psychology 101 class. It is the responsibility of high school teachers to ensure that students graduate with the knowledge and skills necessary for life after high school. Yet the transition from high school to college is not always as smooth as one would expect. There needs to be a more effective way to bridge the gap between high school and college.

3. Studying is imperative

I have always been a straight-A student. In the past, I could simply look over my notes and feel prepared for an upcoming test. College opened my eyes to the fact that my study habits were mediocre at best. Since my first test as a college student, I have learned how to study more thoroughly. My desk is covered with highlighted textbooks, flashcards, practice problems, and detailed notes. Developing successful studying techniques is essential to succeeding in college.

4. However, studying isn't everything

There comes a point where school, work, etc... becomes entirely overwhelming. It is at these moment when you need to remember to make time for yourself. Whether they come in the form of taking a nap, watching a movie on Netflix, or going out with friends, breaks are always necessary. The human brain can only process and retain information for so long before continuing to study becomes pointless. Allow yourself a 15 minute break between study sessions. On days with lighter workloads, go out and do something you enjoy. Learn to recognize when your amount of stress is too high and do something to bring it to an optimal level. Studying is beneficial, but your mental health is far more important.

5. Take advantage of opportunities

College opens a lot of doors that extend beyond the class room. I attend a community college, but that has not limited my opportunities and experiences. Carroll Community College constantly offers tickets to Hershey Park, The Hippodrome, etc. I recently went on a day trip to New York and saw the Rockette show with a group of friends. I am also part of the honors program, which provides even more opportunities. During one of the first weeks of the semester, the group of students within the program took a trip to Harpers Ferry. Attending college has allowed me to take part in activities that might not have been available to me otherwise. I have had experiences outside of my comfort zone, and I am a stronger, more well-rounded person because of them. I look forward to expanding my horizons even further in the future.

I know that there is still much to learn from college and the rest of the world. Until then, I will do what I can to embrace the college experience and continue to grow as an individual.