5 Lessons I Learned At 21

5 Lessons I Learned At 21

Lessons that aren't alcohol related.

21
5 Lessons I Learned At 21
H. Samuel

As my 22nd birthday is approaching in less than two weeks, I have been doing some reflecting on what my year of being 21 has been like. Beside's being able to legally buy alcohol, my 21st year was filled with fun, but also many lessons. Here are five of the biggest lessons I've learned while being 21.

1. Stop Apologizing.

This one is hard for me. I say sorry for everything, most times simply to keep the peace. 21 has taught me that saying sorry, even for the things you aren't really sorry for brings nothing but confusion and resentment. It is okay to be unapologetic. Let your sorry be sincere. Most importantly, don't apologize to make anyone else comfy.

2. It's Okay To Not Know.

When we're little, we think we'll have our whole lives figured out by the time we're in our early 20s. Sike nah. I have no idea what I want, where I want to go, or what I want to do. I'm confused, a lot of the time, but it's all apart of the process. Your 20s are whatever you want them to be, and believe me, if you want to figure yourself out, don't feel bad about it. If you don't know what's going on, you're not a failure, most of us don't. If you don't know what you want in a partner, now is the time to figure it out. If you don't know what you want to do with your career, once again, we're only 21! Don't be in such a rush to have the answers, they come to you with time, and especially as you begin to trust the process.

3. Trust Your Gut.

Your gut is usually right. If you aren't feeling people, places, things, situations, etc., remove yourself. If you have a gut feeling that you can do something, don't be afraid to take a chance. Your intuition usually tries to tell you something for a reason.

4. Stay True To Yourself.

Stay true to yourself and your convictions. Compromise is apart of life, but never compromise so much that you lose yourself. Especially in relationships; don't feel the need to change who you are, your goals, or your expectations for anyone. Staying true to yourself can be a struggle, but you'll beat yourself up if you don't.

5. Don't Ever Compare Yourself.

Everyone's journey is different. We're all going through different things, we all have different struggles and opportunities. You never know what people had to go through to get where they're at. It's easy to feel like you aren't where you're supposed to be or like you aren't doing enough, but most of the time, someone is wishing they were where you are. Focus on your lane and your goals, not anyone else's.