5 Optimistic Lessons I Learned From 2020 Despite The Gray Skies It Cast On Our World

As much as 2020 sucked, there were multiple things I learned despite all of the hardships. Lessons that I will have for the rest of my life. I wouldn't have grown this much if the pandemic and quarantine never occurred. All I can say is that everything happens for a reason and we can grow from all of the curve balls life throws at us.

1. Be grateful for what you are blessed with.

If there is one thing being stuck in quarantine taught me, it is to not take anything for granted. Enjoy the little pieces of life that may be ignored on a daily basis. Things such as going out to eat in public, not wearing a mask everywhere you go, and even walking outside and enjoying the fresh air. Being locked inside with nowhere to go is frustrating, and a lot of us, especially me, learned to be grateful for what we already have in life. From now on, I want to look at little things, such as the sunset, people smiling on the street, and even spending time with the people I love as something that I may never get to witness again.

2. Learn to be comfortable alone.

While I was in quarantine, I spent a lot of time alone. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and pacing in circles, I decided to take this time to meditate, become one with myself, and grow. I listened to podcasts on healing and learned to connect the dots of my past to reveal why I am the way I am. I found this to be a significant finding, and I am truly grateful for being able to become the best version of myself. Now I take time for myself and am not uncomfortable with not having anything to do.

3. Trust in God's plans.

There was a lot of uncertainty within 2020. We didn't know what was next for us and what the next chapter was. Something that I learned within this past year was to submit myself to the Lord and to live in the moment and trust that He would know what is best to come. Trusting isn't easy, but if we humble ourselves and accept what we can control, we will be okay. Things such as a global pandemic, war, and other people's actions are things that we can't control. We are only able control our own thoughts and actions towards others, and the sooner we accept that, the better off we will be.

4. Take a leap of faith.

Similarly to trusting in the Lord, that means we must take a leap of faith - like trying something outside our comfort zone in the midst of our solitude such as bettering ourselves, learning a new skill, or applying for a job when there isn't a lot of hope. Taking a leap of faith means that you must not only trust God's plan, but you must trust yourself, as well. Knowing that you are capable of anything and whatever happens will help you prosper.

5. See the good in everything.

Lastly, I noticed that being spiteful of what has happened in life isn't going to change the past. Instead, I learned to see the good in what has happened. For example, the fact that I have become a different person has led me to believe that I wouldn't have changed anything about 2020, because it has brought us to the people we are today. In our worst times, we must be optimistic and look to what the future may bring us. Even though it may be hard, we must push past what obstacles we have in life and continue our journey. The only thing that is in the way of our future and being our best self is us. Seeing the bright side of life will lead us to a life of bliss that we can look back on and be thankful for.

In conclusion, 2020 was a rough year. I think we all know that. But if we can pull out what we have learned and apply it to the years to come, we can look at it as a blessing in disguise. Here's to 2021 and to using our past selves and experiences to be better in the future!