5 Of My Least Favorite Home Trends

5 Of My Least Favorite Home Trends

I just don't understand the appeal..

48
5 Of My Least Favorite Home Trends
ideasgn.com

I am not someone who is invested in trends, especially not those involving homes. I do however, watch a lot of HGTV. I like to have the TV on in the background and HGTV is simple enough to just pop on and it is exciting to watch Property Brothers and rick folks hunt for their second home on the beach.

Through my passive TV watching, I’ve realized that there are many things that are pretty much mandatory for many home owners and renovators. However, these things make me so, so angry because they are pretty ridiculous. Maybe it is because of the way I grew up: my home wasn’t an open concept yet still flowed nicely, and every room was a different color, but it all made sense. I just hope that these trends disappear by the time I am ready to buy a home:

1. Open Concept Living Spaces

Okay. I just don’t get it because why would anyone want to invite company over and allow them to stare at all of the dirty dishes and whatever other mess they made while cooking? I understand that it can open up a small house, but come on, I don’t want to live in one big open room if I own a house. Last thing I would want is to be making Thanksgiving dinner and then all of my relatives come over and see just how much of a messy cooker I am.

2. White Everything

Why would anyone want to live in a space that is white? I get that with white you can add accents, but to me it is really reminiscent of insane asylums. I love color, and my bedroom reflects that. I don’t stick to three colors, I use them all. I also have dogs, who get dirty and white walls would not stay white very long in my house.

3. Marble Accents

A little bit of marble is okay, but everywhere and it starts to remind me of the point above. And if it’s fake marble, or just some contact paper thrown onto an old table, it becomes incredibly tacky.

4. Chopped Pillows

When I walk into someone’s home, I know that they live there and I want a space to reflect that. Homes are not as pristine as they are depicted on HGTV. We live in them. So, why go through the effort of chopping a pillow? It also makes me want to gag because it’s so bizarre and kind of obnoxious.

5. Wall-to-wall Carpeting

For me, it is kind of gross to have permanent carpets. So much gunk gets stuck in it. Dog fur, dirt, food crumbs, and not to mention the possibility of a stain. Hardwood floors are so much more versatile. Carpets can be great and really make a space feel cozier, but at least you can remove them much easier. Hardwood floors really only need a daily sweep and you can’t do that with a carpet; it requires a vacuum.