5 Things I Learned When I Started Dying My Hair Crazy Colors

Life is too short to have boring hair!

140
Nathan Dumlao

One of my favorite forms of expressions was dying my hair a plethora of different colors. I've dived into reds, blues, greens, and purples. Right now I'm back to my natural dark brown due to my job. (super sad face!) But in a way, it's a great thing because I can finally let my hair breathe and heal from the years or coloring and bleaching!

I recently had to do a big chop of about 6 inches because my hair was full of split/dead ends and color damage. Though I miss my length, it's a fresh start to a healthy hair journey.

There are so many things I wish I knew before I started chemically changing my hair, which probably would've saved a lot of time, money, patience, and sanity! After about 4 years, I've learned a thing or two to help your hair reach it's most fabulous and healthy potential.

1. Moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE!

Dying your hair dries it out tremendously. Leave-in and deep conditioners will be your new best friend. If you like going a more natural route, Oils like coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and my personal favorite, Jamaican black castor oil will hydrate your hair to help maintain a healthy feel and look.

One of my personal favorite DIY masks for hydration and hair growth are mixing:

2 tsp of olive oil

2 tsp of Jamaican black castor oil

2 tsp of flax seed gel

Leave on your hair focusing on the length and scalp for at least an hour!

2. No mask can save your hair if it's severely damaged, it needs to be cut off.

Most severe damage is irreversible and beyond repair. A chop is usually the next best idea, not to mention if you don't cut your split ends, they will continue to travel up your hair.

Sacrificing length for your hair's overall health will only benefit you in the long run. Leaving it softer, lighter, less tangled, and overall easier to manage and style.

3. Hair dye stains everything.

Staining your skin is the least of your worries. All you need to do beforehand is rub Vaseline on your forehead, head, neck, ears, etc. Make sure you remove any rugs and mats from your bathroom or wherever you'll be dying your hair and lay down some newspaper on your floors and around your sink.

4. You need to wash your hair less frequently.

In order to keep most colors from fading, you shouldn't be washing your hair every day. Even every other day is pushing it! This is especially true for reds, which is the hardest color to maintain. I should know, I had it for 3 years. Try out some dry shampoos to help absorb some oil. My favorite is Batiste.

When you do wash your hair, steer clear of shampoos and conditioners with sulfates such as Head and Shoulders. They will strip the color right out. Aim for brands like Shea Moisture that don't contain and harsh sulfates, mineral oils, and silicons. Also, remember to wash your hair in COLD water!

5. Blues and greens are almost impossible to get out.

Last year I had the most gorgeous emerald green hair that eventually faded into a dark teal. It was my favorite color I have ever done! Later that year, I got a job that required having a natural hair color. (boring!) No matter how many color strippers, sulfate shampoos, and vitamin c tablets I used, the color did not fade! My best solution was to just dye it back to my dark brown, almost black color. If you look closely, there are still some vague shades of blue and green peeking through the undertones of my hair. It's still passable for a natural color, thank God.

Life is too short to have boring hair, but before you do anything to it do your research...please! I promise though, all the hard work is worth is when you're rockin' that stunnin' shade of blue, purple, pink, you name it. You'll feel like the hair angels have come down and blessed you.