5 'Law And Order SVU' Episodes Based On Real Events

The following story is NOT fictional and depicts an actual person or event.

2038

Any Law and Order: Special Victims Unit fan knows that at the beginning of each episode, there is a disclaimer stating this the episode is fictional. While we'd all like to believe that the tragic and horrific stories told are fictional, many of them are based on real people and events. Here's a list of episodes that were based on real people and events:

1. "Spousal Privilege."

This episode is based on the domestic abuse case involving celebrity football star Ray Rice who was caught on tape abusing his wife. In the episode, a football star is caught on tape physically abusing his wife. In both instances, the football stars' wife stood by them.

2. "Rape Interrupted."

"Rape Interrupted" was inspired by the case of Brock Turner. Turner was caught sexually assaulting a woman near a garbage bin while she was drunk. He claimed that he was not guilty and blamed the rape on alcohol. In the episode, a man is caught sexually assaulting a woman near a garbage bin after meeting her at a party. The woman was drunk and passed out. In the end, the man got a light sentence for the rape just as Turner got a light sentence in real life. This sparked public arrest in real life and on the show.

3. "Community Policing."

In "Community Policing," a young unarmed African American male is shot by the NYPD. This case was a tribute to the Black Lives Matter cause. It was inspired by the recent frequent police shootings of unarmed African Americans.

4. "Gone."

This episode was inspired by the case of Natalee Holloway. Holloway went missing while on a school trip to Aruba. In the episode, a girl from Canada is on a school trip in America. She disappears during her stay.

5. "Producer's Backend."

The episode "Producer's Backened" is ripped from the headlines about Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes. The two stars have been caught in legal issues in recent years. In the episode, a former teen actress has been displaying erratic behavior.