5 Important Things You Should Know About College

College is exhausting, this list may give you a little insight.

106
Odyssey

I am a sophomore in college and have learned so much from these short few years so far.

1. You don't need to party to have fun.

I went into college thinking that it would be filled with drunk students, parties, and second hand embarrassment. I was terrified of it, if I'm being completely honestly. I thought I had to go and watch that to be able to have the "college experience". When people would tell me to have fun I would instantly think partying. But while there is that scene of college, there is so many more ways to have fun in college. Have game nights with your suite mates, movie nights, walking around campus at night, going to the mall, just hanging out in the common room. I know all these things sound like regular activities and how could they possibly be so much fun? If you make the right friends in college, I guarantee you that you will have the time of your life.

2. You don't need to have a major right away but it sure is helpful.

I have known what I wanted to do since junior year of high school. I am an English Elementary Education major. I was a little behind in math when starting college so I had a slow start there but was ahead in English so I got to take some upper level courses and knowing my major helped because I took classes that counted towards it. If you don't have a major, that is absolutely fine, just get all your general education courses out of the way. But knowing what you want to major in is a big help when planning how long you are going to go to college and how many classes you need to take.

3. It is the perfect time to find yourself.

College is a new environment, with so many opportunities. You can join clubs, make your own club, find a hidden passion, and just take some time for yourself. Be a little selfish and find who you are. You are going to find new friends everywhere you go and you might as well show them the real you. I know I took some time for myself my first semester of college and ended up realizing how confident I was in my major, how much I loved the outdoors and hiking, and overall how much I didn't care what people thought of me. In high school I always was worried if I was doing the right thing in the eyes of everyone else. Finding yourself provides you with confidence and lets you embrace whatever it is that you want to do and take full pride in it.

4. Get involved!

There is so much going on around campus you have got to get into something. There are clubs, sports, hall activities, and so much more. Getting involved in these sorts of things help you build relationships with others and even make you love your school a little more.

5. You need to go to class

Everyone loves the freedom of choosing to go to class or not. But I've got to tell you, you need to go. Be responsible, this is your future. If you miss just a boring ole lecture there is bound to be something that catches up with you on the exam that you missed or you get too fond of not going to a particular class that you end up dropping a whole letter grade just from attendance. Work smarter, not harder and take advantage of your opportunity to go to school and have all these resources around you. Go to office hours if you are struggling or use the tutoring center that are provided for you to get you the help you need. Whatever you do, don't skip class.