5 #MeToo Moments You Shouldn't Miss

5 #MeToo Moments You Shouldn't Miss

Celebrities all over the world are using their platform to speak up about sexual violence and you should too. The fight isn't over yet.

239

You've heard it, you've seen it and you felt it. The #MeToo movement has just started its roar and it isn't ready to stop any time soon.

In 2006, the saying Me Too was coined by Tarana Burke. Her vision was simple: to "help survivors of sexual assault, particularly young women of color from low wealth communities, find pathway to healing [and] to build a community of advocates, driven by survivors, who will be at the forefront for creating solutions to interior sexual violence in their communities."

Her goal: "To reframe and expand the global conversation around sexual violence to speak to the needs of a broader spectrum of survivors." In 2017, actress Alyssa Milano tweeted out asking survivors of sexual violence to put "me too" as their status. Lots of people responded to let everyone know who is going and has gone through this know they are not alone.

With that, here are my top five favorite moments of the #MeToo movement.

1. Alyssa Milano tweeting out.

Lots of girls and guys responded well to this tweet. It let everyone know that sexual violence is something that can no longer be tolerated. Sexual violence is a crime and I will continue to talk about it forever.

2. Kesha's Grammy performance of Praying.

Her song was initially a comeback after her legal battle with producer Dr. Luke. Kesha was joined on stage by other famous women: Camila Cabello, Julia Michaels, Bebe Rexha, Andrea Day and more. Together these women put on a tear-jerking performance to send the message that no one is alone after their survival story of sexual harassment, assault or violence.

3. Ellen opening her show with #MeToo.

Ellen is known for all of the good she does. She gifts people with things they never thought were imaginable. She gives so many opportunities to so many people. She used her high platform to talk about a serious issue

4. Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow on how #MeToo changed their lives.

Judd was the first of many actresses to open up about the harassment allegations of Harvey Weinstein. Later on, Paltrow opened up about the harassment as well. With the #MeToo movement on their sides, these ladies didn't have to go through the aftermath of sexual violence by themselves.

5. Jennifer Lawrence speaking up about mistreatment.

We all have seen a wonderful J-Law experience, whether it was watching the Hunger Games or the Red Sparrow. We know how talented she is. Earlier this year, Lawerence was asked in a CNN interview if she considers herself part of the #MeToo movement. She simply answered with an "I don't know."

This movement is much more than for just victims of sexual violence. It can also be seen as a way to step up for mistreatment with the gender gap or the mistreatment males put on females. When hearing stories of mistreatment of actresses in movies, musicians or writers, we must band together to create a supportive community.