5 Helpful Self-Care Practices For Finals Week

Busy times require your best, so take care of yourself!

57
arborday

Finals week is always a busy time, full of goodbyes, things to be studied before finals, last minute events, cleaning and packing. However, busy times require greater amounts of self-care. Without it, one can reach the end of the term and fall apart—exhausted. Here's some of the self-care practices I began implementing shortly before finals week which made the experience more enjoyable.

1. Sleep

This seems counter productive, but it is key to being focused during finals. Packing and cleaning is much easier when you're not exhausted. It's the easiest to skimp on, but is not worth it. Give yourself the gift of sleep. Everything will still get done. It will be okay.

2. Gentle Exercise

You're already doing so much and may think you have no energy to spare. However, stretching, for example, will help your sore moving muscles. It's also a wonderful way to relax before bed.

3. 10 Minutes Doing Nothing

Again, this is counter intuitive. You probably feel pressed for time, but you can probably spare ten minutes. Tell yourself you have time, lay down and just breathe. Try not to think about responsibilities. Maybe take a walk and observe some trees. How the wind sounds blowing through them, or the way their bark is patterned.

4. Streamline Responsibilities

You probably don't need to attend every event listed on your calendar, or even complete every task you've set before you. Remove any excess responsibilities from your shoulders and let it go.

5. Smile, Breathe and Dance

This has been my motto for all of my finals weeks. Make your time as enjoyable as possible. At a certain point, you know everything you're going to know.