5 Things We All Need To Remember On Thanksgiving

Can't we all just get along?

122
Sara Glaser

As we are approaching Thanksgiving, there is a lot that runs through our minds. Who is making what, where will we meet everyone, how many dinners do we have to go to this year.... Throughout all the madness of Thanksgiving, I hope you remember these top 5 things.

1. Put Your Phone Away

You never know who might be there next year and who won’t. It is important to take this time that you have together today and make it the best time you will ever spend with them. Busy schedules get in our way when we try to see family members. Your phone can wait this time.

2. Let Them Talk

We all have that family member that talks and talks and talks and talks.......... and talks and talks and talks. As we get older, we start to realize what little time we have left together. Look at all the pictures that they have to show you, listen to the stories of experiences that you miss out on (even if you already heard it 100 times), and comment back. One day, you will look back at this moment and realize how much you really miss it. So, just let them talk.

3. Get Along

Nothing is worse than getting the whole family together just so they can bicker at one another. It’s honestly more annoying than anything. Parents, if you're divorced, suck it up. 99% of the time, your kids want nothing more than to finally have their parents together in one spot again because I’m sure they rarely get that. Kids, you can hate your siblings any day of the week, but not this one. You can get along one day out of 365.

4. Don’t Waste Food

I get it. Getting that plate full of food is exciting and you cannot wait to scarf it down after prayer. Just remember that animals and farmers gave their precious life and time to sell that to you. If you don't have room for it, don’t put it on your plate. If there is a bunch of left over (which normally there isn’t so don’t worry too much) there are a lot of people that didn't get Thanksgiving at all. Donate.

5. Help Your Momma

Your parents work all morning on this food. They slave for hours to seek approval from the food critics. After their done, everyone is served, and they get the chance to eat, help them out. Don’t walk by the sink like you didn’t see that pile of dishes there. Just do them. If there is more than one child, get your other siblings to help. I never used to do this, but now that I have a home and family to feed, I realize how awful it is to do this dishes. Just think about how your parents feel when they just fed a whole army.

Well, there it is everyone. While you enjoy your time with family and friends, make sure you remember these five things. Be thankful for what you have today because you may not have it tomorrow and enjoy your family as long as you get to have their company