5 Mistakes Made When Choosing Foundation Makeup

Never buy the wrong formula again.

189
MAC Cosmetics

Finding the perfect foundation is one of the most difficult and exhausting challenges in makeup. To make the hunt easier, here are five common mistakes people make when they’re trying to find the right match:

5. Testing the foundation on the hand, or anywhere but the face

When choosing a foundation, what better way to try it out than testing it on the face? This may seem like a no-brainer, but some people think a swatch on the wrist is the same as the neck or cheek. The face is naturally a different shade than the rest of the body and tends to be lighter, depending on skincare regimen. A lot of the time, skin is lightened through the use of intensive acne treatments. As a result, a perfect match on the hand won’t be right for the face. When searching for foundation, go to the store barefaced and sample the product on the cheek and neck to see if the shade is right for you.

4. Forgetting to take into account if skin is oily or dry

Foundation comes in all kinds of textures and forms. In order to find the correct formula, it’s important to take note of how the face produces oil. When foundation sits on the face throughout an entire workday, the skin will react accordingly. An oily face will need a formula that controls and absorbs. A dry face produces excess oil that will make the forehead, cheeks and chin shine. If skin is oily, control the shine by using an oil free formula. If skin is dry, find a foundation with moisture retaining ingredients, like seaweed, silk particles, or encapsulated water.

3. Not allowing the foundation to oxidize

Once the formula is spread and distributed onto the face, it needs time to oxidize. This means that the foundation is adjusting to oxygen exposure, as well as the body heat radiating from the face. Sometimes, this will cause the foundation to turn an orange hue or to darken in shade. Before purchasing a foundation, ask for a sample to wear out for a day and see what happens after oxidizing. This is also helpful in testing out coverage and seeing how long-lasting the formula is.

2. Choosing one shade for all times of the year

As the seasons change, skin tones change. In the summertime, it’s easy to get dark and tan. That means the foundation bought around Christmastime won’t cut it. To keep your face and body the same color throughout the year, choose a foundation for the colder months and another shade for the warmer months.

1. Failing to realize that the forehead tends to be darker than the rest of the face

Just like the face is lighter than the rest of the body, the forehead is darker than the rest of the face (annoying and confusing, I know). This is due to the forehead receiving the most amount of sun exposure. This can be fixed with a slightly darker shade of foundation that matches the forehead and blends seamlessly into the cheekbones and face. Or, use a contour kit to balance it out by taking a darker shade and buffing it onto the forehead.

Forget wasting money on the wrong foundation. Follow these tips and find the perfect match!