5 Essential Tips For College Freshmen

5 Essential Tips For College Freshmen

College is truly a journey, so make smart choices.

25
5 Essential Tips For College Freshmen
SYLVIA KUIJSTEN

As a freshman, I am realizing that higher education is extremely important in accomplishing my personal goals. In fact, higher education can benefit anyone who puts in time and effort to better themselves. However, college can be scary at times for everyone, and that's okay. Although I have only started off my college journey this year, I feel that every freshman should know these five valuable tips to make their college experience a bit less intimidating.

1. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Some people think that there is a certain stigma for people who ask questions, but that is definitely not the case. In college, everyone is confused, and it's acceptable to ask questions. If you're lost, ask for directions. If you're confused about an assignment, go to tutoring or ask a graduate student for help. As long as you are applying yourself, there are many friendly people who are more than willing to assist you! This is because everyone who has been to college has been in your shoes at one time, and they know that you do not know everything. College is a learning experience, and you need help from others to progress.

2. Surround yourself with beneficial people.

If someone hurts you physically or emotionally, you do not have to be friends with them. In fact, you do not have to surround yourself with anyone who does not benefit you. Now, this statement does not mean for financial gain, per se. Instead, this means spending time with people who you enjoy being around for any reason. It could just be their presence. Just understand that you are so important, and you only have this one life. Don't mess it up by being around bad influences.

3. Healthy eating is the best eating.

Honestly, I feel dragged down when I eat poorly. In college, it is important to be as focused as possible in your classes. These classes are not jokes. Now, do you think that you would run better off of fast food, or a balanced meal? That is for you to decide. The freshman fifteen is definitely a real thing, and so is the freshman thirty. Do not let you choosing your own meals destroy you, especially in a cafeteria that is practically an all you can eat buffet. Eat balanced meals, and do not starve yourself. Nutrition and balance are essential, but remember to treat yourself, too. Happiness is also important for your own wellbeing.

4. Take advantage of the money that you're spending.

College is expensive, so don't slack off with your studies. Learn everything that you can, and keep up with your due dates for your assignments. If you need a planner to stay organized, buy one. It doesn't have to be a paper planner. There are even many apps available to help with organization. Take advantage of the resources that you have available. There are many online databases and books that you will only be able to access as a student at a university, so figure out how to access them. Explore the library. Soak up knowledge for your major. Knowledge is what really matters once you get out into the real world, so build a great foundation in college.

5. Have a social life.

Even though studying is important, it is also important to socialize. In fact, socialization is another way to take advantage of your college experience. Go to football games and other social events with your friends and have fun. You're only in college for so long, and once you leave, you won't be able to relive your college experience. If you have a bad day, don't stay locked up in your room. Go out and make your day better. Just remember to not make dumb decisions. Think about your actions before you act, and college will be a breeze.