5 Early 2000's Movies You Should Watch Again This Month

Let the nostalgia flow through you.

116
The Daily Beast

Ask anyone over the age of 16 and they'll agree that the 2000's were an abundant time for memorable children's movies. Companies like Disney, DreamWorks, and Pixar worked their butts off to pump out new movies every year that seemed to catch the public's eye. Of course just about any movie made by these movie titans is guaranteed to be wildly successful. However, there have been a handful of movies that have dropped out of the public eye, some that you definitely should grace your television screen with right away because these are the movies that don't get airtime on FX, TBS, ABC, or any other family movie channel. These movies are the silent favorites of our generation, so make sure you honor them by watching the crap out of every last one this winter break

1. "The Road To El Dorado"

Miguel and Tulio! The mighty and powerful gods! This 2000 movie never ceases to entertain with its quick witty humor. The bromance between these two lovely dorks is like none other in their quest to find the fabled golden city of El Dorado. Some criticize this movie for having a lack of exposition and character dynamics, but honestly, it's just all good fun all around. The themes of friendship, adventure, and redemption, not to mention some help from a wonderful soundtrack by Sir Elton John and Hans Zimmer really catapults this movie into being a childhood classic.

2. "Treasure Planet"

Pirates... in space. How could it get much better than that? Well, the answer is a lot as this 2002 movie is both beautiful in concept, story, and art. Nothing is more breathtaking than the story of a boy joining an expedition aboard a pirate ship flying through space in search of a secret planet full of treasure. Though it is not as thorough of a movie as many of the other Disney movies from this period, it still ranks among my favorites just for style points. Also, the ending will make you cry, but, like, only a lot.

3. "Atlantis: The Lost Empire"

Right in the same ballpark of "Treasure Planet" is this wonderful 2001 movie about a team of explorers journeying to find the lost sunken city of Atlantis. I know what you're thinking by now, "what's with all of these movies about explorers finding lost places." The answer is somewhere between "those are the best movies" and "that was just the flavor of the day back then." Regardless, this is a must-watch for those who haven't seen it either at all or in years because it has aged very well. The beautiful world building and story of saving one's culture from annihilation reminds me of one of my favorite books, "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This movie will leave you with a restored hope for humanity.

4. "Brother Bear"

This 2003 movie can feel a bit like a fever dream if you aren't paying attention to it. But, like, a really heartwarming and cute fever dream about a dude who gets turned into a bear after he kills a bear that was protecting its child, and then he spends the rest of the movie hanging out with that child bear. It's definitely worth a rewatching if you enjoy movies with themes of brotherhood and redemption. You also get to take a neat sneak peak inside a wonderful Native American culture. Oh, and the soundtrack is by Phil Collins. What else could you possibly ask for?

5. "The Emperor's New Groove"

This 2000 movie is right up there with "Brother Bear" in seeming like a fever dream. Mostly because it's another story about a dude who gets turned into an animal against his will. Except this time, the dude is an emperor, and his subordinate is trying to murder him so that she can take the throne for herself. Of course this movie is a familiar one among us all, as it's gotten probably the most screen time (by my experience), but it is definitely worth another watch because it is such a wholesome movie with a great change in character. Let's face it, we all need a little more wholesome in our lives.

I am willing to bet that you haven't seen at least one of these five movies in years, so grab your best friend, siblings, parents, kids, whoever (or all of the above) and sit down to enjoy a lovely movie this winter break. Sit down with a tub of popcorn, relax, and just let the nostalgia take you away to your happy place.