5 Delicious & Quirky Eateries to Try for Dessert in NYC

Five of the most interesting and unique food shops in Manhattan -- only sweets, of course!

26
This Big Adventure

Since I've gotten to school, I've made it a personal quest to try out many of the funky food shops here in NYC as I can. Now, I come to you with a list of 5 of the best quirky eateries (specifically, those that specialize in treats) to check out in Manhattan! Try them out and let me know your thoughts!

These are not in any particular order:

1. 10Below Ice Cream

Situated on both Mott Street in Chinatown, and on Allen Street in the Lower East Side, 10Below Ice Cream is known for their famous rolled ice cream. Their creations were inspired from the streets of Thailand, where ice cream was rolled personally for each customer.

10Below offers nine different flavors of ice cream, including S'mores Galore (milk chocolate and graham crackers) and Matcha Made in Heaven (green tea and strawberries), When I came to their shop, I thought that by ordering S'mores Galore I'd be receiving vanilla ice cream with chocolate and graham cracker toppings. I was certainly wrong - toppings are encouraged (and free!) but the ice cream itself is actually created with only liquid cream and the foods listed in the flavor that you select. Amazing, right?

2. Big Gay Ice Cream Shop

Ranked by USA Today as the #5 best ice cream parlor in the world (the highest American ice cream shop on the list), Big Gay Ice Cream is known for their delicious cones. They focus on soft serve, and dress each cone up with unique toppings. Featured in this picture is the Salty Pimp, the Bea Arthur, and vanilla soft serve with wasabi pea dust. This now world-renowned ice cream shop began just as a food truck, and expanded as their immense popularity grew.

I've been here a few times and my personal favorite would have to be the Bea Arthur -- vanilla soft serve with dulce de leche and crushed nilla wafers. 10/10 would recommend. So head down to the East Village, West Village, or the Meat Packing District and try it out for yourself!

3. Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer

Known for their extravagant and mouthwatering milkshakes, Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer is located in both Soho and the Meat Packing District. You may have heard of this one. Though its fame has died down since a few years ago, the line to get in still may last up to two hours (though it is heard of to get in with only a 10-minute wait!). Reviews on Yelp generally state that Black Tap is the kind of place that you just need to go once for the experience -- burgers seem to be a little above average, but the milkshakes make it all worth it. Definitely check it out!

4. Levain Bakery

If you're a Barnard/Columbia student, it would be hard to believe if you still haven't heard of Levain Bakery. Located far too close to campus for my own good, they have two locations: one in Harlem (117th and Frederick Douglass) and one on the Upper West Side (74th and Amsterdam). Not only does Levain sell a delicious signature chocolate chip walnut cookie (and other cookies), they also sell other pastries and amazing breads. I would recommend the classic chocolate chip walnut cookie, but if you've already tried that: definitely try out the pumpkin ginger spice bread! Their goods are beautifully warm and soft. Please go try them.

5. Momofuku Milk Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar is, without a doubt, one of the most creative and unique bakeries I have ever visited. The bakery bases their goods on their own "cereal milk" (instead of normal milk). This milk is made to taste like the milk at the bottom of a bowl of Corn Flakes, and it really does. The cereal milk makes their products the type of food that you will either hate or absolutely love. In my personal opinion, I think their soft serve is delicious but I wouldn't recommend too large an amount. Their ice cream is definitely something you need to taste to believe!

Have fun eating!