5 Common Placed Phrases That Need To Stop

Some people may not realize how degrading these phrases are, but either way this needs to end now.

25
The Stamp

Some people in today's society have become so numb to what they're saying and don't realize how offensive they can be. Others just choose to ignore how hurtful their words can be towards individuals. Some of these phrases are said daily, and people just disregard them because they think it can't really hurt someone. Well, guess what. You're wrong and these common phrases really need to stop.

1. “That’s gay” or “You’re such a faggot”

Actually no, it’s not gay. People throw these words around like it’s normal or OK, and that alone is a huge problem in today’s society. By using these phrases, you’re saying, “That’s wrong,” but when you use the word “gay,” you’re giving it a negative connotation and also saying that it’s wrong to be gay. It’s bad enough people feel the need to criticize individuals about who they are and care about, but by using these phrases, you’re just adding more fuel to the fire.

2. ”That’s retarded”

People who say this should be ashamed because they are making fun of individuals with disabilities. Just like the phrases above, this one gives a negative connotation toward people who, despite their disability, try their hardest to overcome obstacles in society just like anyone else. Most people who use this phrase are trying to say something is “stupid,” but instead of degrading another human being, try saying something else. I bet if you took the time to get to know someone with a disability, you’d see how smart and brave these individuals really are.

3. “Women’s rights are a joke” or “A woman’s place is in the kitchen”

I’m convinced that people who say these things just feel threatened by women because of how far we’ve come and what we have accomplished. Women are fully capable of doing anything a man can, but we are still getting backlash for it even today. There’s nothing funny about oppressing women and holding them responsible for the housework. Times have changed, and women have proved that we are more than a stay-at-home mom. In fact, I think we had it right as children when we said, “Girls, go to college to get more knowledge.” Why did that saying stop once we got older?

4. “Rule of thumb”

While we’re on the topic of women, let me tell you why the saying “rule of thumb” really needs to end. Most people recognize the phrase as giving a general idea or concept for guidance based on another person’s experience. What most people don’t know is that before women’s suffrage, this phrase meant a man could beat his wife with a stick no larger than the width of his thumb. This concept originated in a Supreme Court case, State v. A.B. Rhodes, where the judge ruled in favor of the husband saying he could hit his wife with something no larger than his thumb.

5. “Stop being a Jew”

Just because someone is frugal with their money does not give anyone the right to call them “a Jew.” This is an awful stereotype placed on the Jewish community. As most stereotypes do, this one seemed to start with a little truth that was distorted by envious individuals. In the past, people have seen wealthier Jewish families and just assumed this stereotype that these were greedy, rich, and cheap individuals. In reality, people didn’t account for the hard work and time these people put in so they could be successful. On the other hand, most of these Jewish individuals don’t even fit this stereotype placed upon them, so why is it still going on?

Although some people may not realize it, these phrases hurt people and take a toll on them emotionally. There are better ways of expressing what you want to say than by using any of these phrases. I encourage people to stop and think about what they say before they say it because you never know the kind of damage words can cause.