5 Coldplay Songs That Can And Will Make You Cry

Because sometimes you need a good cry on an emotion never felt before; unapologetic love.

156

Coldplay, the British Rock band formed in London in 1996 with lead vocalist/pianist Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bass player Guy Berryman, and drummer Will Champion have created a record number of hits in the past decade. With TikTok Audios surging with the following songs, A Sky Full of Stars, Paradise, Sparks, and Yellow; the band, Coldplay, more than a name, is an emotion on its own.

A Sky Full of Stars, known to celebrate the victory of President Elect Joe Biden, was inspired by his late son Beau Biden's favorite band and song, which was also played at his funeral. Over the display of fireworks in Wilmington, Delaware, Coldplay's "A Sky Full of Stars" returned to the Billboard's Dance/Electronic Digital Song Sales chart at No. 1, selling 3,000 downloads in the November 6-12, 2020 tracking week, according to Nielsen Music/MRC Data; topping the chart for the first time.

Paradise, where TikTok videos showcase the beginning of soulmates, in the form of lovers, bestfriends, family; this audio is for sure to bring surprises! Sparks, wrecking agony and heart wrench, the opposite of Yellow, "yellow" portraying the happiness and light of one's life.

Ranked below will be personal favorites that made me see the magic of love!

5. Us Against The World (Mylo Xyloto, 2011)

Martin's mellow voice along with Buckland's soft and strumming guitar grows to a powerful ballad with bellowing harmonies and a chiming guitar riff to convey the comforting thought that love can act as a sanctuary against the darkness of the world.

"And if we could float away

Fly up to the surface

And just start again

And lift off before trouble just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us, erodes us in the rain…"

4. 'Til Kingdom Come Again (X&Y, 2005)

Meant to be duetted with the vocals of Johnny Cash along with Chris Martin in 2003, Til' Kingdom Come Again was written for Johnny Cash to express his love for his beloved wife, June Carter. Unfortunately, Cash passed away in 2003 due to drug addiction. The song thus conveys Cash's enormous, emotionally bursting love for his partner that can barely be expressed with only words. Wishing to wait 'til kingdom come' until "my day is done", thus showing an unfaltering passion.

"For you I'd wait 'til kingdom come

Until my day, my day is done

And say you'll come and set me free

Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me…"

3. Trouble (Parachutes, 2000)

Dark, dejected and stubbornly apologetic, "Trouble" serves as an unwitting antithesis to their song, "Yellow". Martin's sorrowful refrain - "I never meant to cause you trouble, and I never meant to do you wrong" with the metaphorical illustration of spider webs show the entanglement of emotions - love that causes pain. The overstrung piano melody captures the downcast mood in a recurring five notes. This song is about unintentionally hurting someone, apologizing out of the awareness of the harm they've caused, and not being able to gain their forgiveness.

"Singing that I never meant to cause you trouble

I never meant to do you wrong

And I, well, if I ever caused you trouble

Oh no, I never meant to do you harm…"

2. In My Place (A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002)

The song feels stirring whilst the lyrics convey a different story, one of regret and hopelessness. The massive drum beat (borrowed from Ride's shoegaze all-timer "Dreams Burn Down") is supported by a chiming guitar riff; being one of the best introductions Coldplay has ever produced with the synchronization of Martin's strained, emotional pleading during the bridge, making it one of his most intense performances.

"And I was lost, I was lost

Crossed lines I shouldn't have crossed

I was lost, oh yeah

Yeah, how long must you wait for? (3x)..."

1. True Love (Ghost Stories, 2014)

Reminiscing of when most likely, Martin and his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow were together; expressing his continued love and longing for her asks for her to come back and pretend to love him which would ease his pain. Portraying the mourning of lost times where everything seemed perfect.

"And I wish you could have let me know

What's really going on below

I've lost you now, you let me go but one last time

Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie, oh lie to me…"

Dreamy lyrics with nostalgic melodies, Coldplay creates the ideal fantasy in a shared reality that compels you to press replay.