5 Christmas Songs That Offend America

5 Christmas Songs That Offend America

Classic holiday songs have made headlines this season for their so called "offensive" lyrics... but are they really as damaging as people claim?

2910
5 Christmas Songs That Offend America
https://unsplash.com/photos/nD3AcuizeF8

2018 wouldn't have been complete if the nation hadn't found one last thing to be offended about. Recently, followers of the #Metoo movement have taken issue with 5 popular Christmas songs, claiming that their lyrics promote rape culture, and bullying, amongst other things. And in true Scrooge fashion, they've managed to petition for these songs to be taken off the radio... Bah Hum Bug, am I right?

Here's a list of the 5 songs that made it onto the naughty list this year:

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Baby it's cold outside www.youtube.com

The song's lyrics, originally written by Frank Loesser and his wife Lynn, have caused quite the commotion. Since it's debut in 1944, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" has been recorded by over 4 dozen duets. But it's popularity and versatility was't enough to keep critics from ripping it apart. It's lyrics are said to promote rape culture, as well as exemplify male dominance in a relationship. Lyrics such as, "Say what's in this drink?" insinuate that the female's significant other spiked her drink. Other lyrics expressing the female's desire to leave are also said to show how her stay was non-consensual... but is that really what this song is about?

In the 1940's, staying the night at your significant other's house was unheard of. The couple's harmless flirtation in the song could simply be the young female's worry over her family's possible reaction if she doesn't make it home. Although people today claim that the female is being taken advantage of in this particular situation, many reprised versions of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" swap gender roles. Female singers have sung the "male" part of the song on many occasions, proving that gender is not an issue where there are concerns. In the accompanying video, two separate versions of the song are portrayed.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer(Lyrics) www.youtube.com

This all-time classic, written in 1949, describes the life of a misfit reindeer named Rudolph. Rudolph's shiny red nose has made him a victim of "bullying" in the North Pole. The other reindeers laugh and call him names, even excluding him from their reindeer games. In the end, as we all know, Rudolph triumphs and becomes the official guide of Santa's sleigh. So why is this overlooked?

In my opinion, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is a success story. Rudolph uses his unique gift to save Christmas despite all of the "bullying" and opposition he was faced with. America, give Rudolph the credit he deserves.

Santa Baby

Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby (Audio) www.youtube.com

This seductive holiday tune, released in 1953 by Eartha Kitt, is apparently too sexy for America. Since the singer uses seduction to bribe Santa Clause into gifting her with expensive presents, "Santa Baby" is now said to portray sexuality as tool you can use in order to get what you want. It has also been mentioned that Santa is depicted as a lavish "sugar daddy"... I'm not kidding.

Yes, "Santa Baby" is definitely a seductive song, but it's harmless. There are definitely more explicit songs out today that cause more damage than this playful Christmas song. If you want to ban "Santa Baby" then you essentially have to ban every other song that talks about sex and seduction, which includes a majority of today's top charting hits. A lot of progressive Americans claim they want to normalize sex, yet they complain about this song; pick a side people.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause

The Jackson 5 I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus (with lyrics) www.youtube.com

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" was first recorded in 1952, it's most famous rendition being sung by The Jackson 5. This one does sound weird at first, I have to admit, but I think we can all agree that the 'Santa' in this situation is most likely the little's boy's father dressed in a costume. Of course the young singer still believes in Santa Clause, and we should all understand his innocence.

The song was banned once before, condemned by the Catholic Church in Boston. But eventually, the ban was lifted. Since the song's release many parody versions have been made, such as RuPaul's "I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Clause", and Spike Jones' more explicit "I Saw Mommy Screwing Santa Clause". Clearly, the lyrics are comical so there's no reason to fuss over this Christmas classic.

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer www.youtube.com

This novelty song was originally preformed by the husband-and-wife duo of Elmo and Patsy Trigg Shropshire. Since then, the song has been adapted into films, books, and multiple parodies. The whole song is obviously a joke, but some people seem to disagree.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" is now deemed disrespectful. Grandpa doesn't have much of a reaction after grandma dies, and Santa never claims responsibility for the murder... shame on them. In the song, Christmas commences without granny and the family ponders whether or not they should send their gifts back to the North Pole. I think the negative fanfare condemning this song has blown the lyrics out of proportion. Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?

So what do you think, do these songs deserve the cold shoulder this holiday season?