5 Christmas Songs That are Actually Really Creepy

Why are these so weird?

116
FreeObi

Regardless of religion or what winter holidays someone celebrates, there are some Christmas songs that everyone seems to know. These songs are odd for various reasons, some make Santa Claus seem very God-like or are just plain weird. Maybe it’s just because everyone is so accustomed to the same holiday songs and singing the lyrics without really thinking about them, but some of these lyrics are creepier than most people realize. Do you agree?

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

“He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good.” Maybe it’s an over-analyzation but isn’t this really creepy? This old man is watching every move you make. In a sense it seems like a reference to God and him knowing everything you do, which is also a possible reference in Here Comes Santa Claus ("He doesn't care if you're rich or poor, he loves you just the same").

All I Want for Christmas is You

Perhaps the best known popular Christmas song, Mariah Carey’s lyrics could be considered a bit obsessive. The singer clearly wants nothing but this one person. If they’re in a relationship, it might be kind of cute to say that their significant other is all they need. If they’re not in a relationship already, this could be a little weird… maybe even creepy. I wouldn’t recommend singing this to anyone unless they definitely feel the same way about you.

Grandma Got Run-Over by a Reindeer

This song is about the singer’s grandmother getting mauled by Santa’s reindeer and sleigh. It’s not a very happy song and certainly not a celebration of the season. Grandma drank too much eggnog, didn’t take her medication and ended up with reindeer hoof-prints on her forehead. Whose idea was this song?? Nothing says Merry Christmas like a grandma killed by a hit-and-run.

Frosty the Snowman

Why is a living snowman a part of Christmas? Where did the magical hat come from? So many questions about this song. If a snowman came to life, I think most of us would run the other way screaming. How do the children play with him? He could crack or fall apart if the kids play with him too roughly. Maybe this is another over-analyzation, but why has Frosty become a part of Christmas?

Baby It’s Cold Outside

Supposedly this song has been taking some heat lately about its lyrics. With lines like “What’s in this drink?” “The answer is no” “I wish I knew how to break this spell” among others, this guy seems awfully pushy and instant on the girl staying despite her attempts to leave. He uses the weather as an excuse for her to stay longer and gets her to drink more alcohol and smoke another cigarette to keep her occupied longer. The creepiness level is debatable but this guy needs to learn how to take “no” for an answer.

There are lots of Christmas songs (although sometimes it seems like the same five songs redone by every artist) but these were just a couple that stood out in weird or creepy way. What other holiday songs do you find odd? Let me know in the comments!