5 Things That Change As You Enter College

Changes are hard, especially when you become an adult.

25
http://starecat.com/content/wp-content/uploads/weekend-you-get-back-here-and-let-me-love-you-spongebob.jpg

Just when you patted yourself on the shoulder for graduating high school, you are shifted into a new world called, "college". Yes, one of the important talks many have with their families and friends, whether it is where you want to attend, and will you have enough money to send your kid to college, or just what you want to study in school. Once you have some answers to these questions, you start a whole new journey and life throws you turns like it is no one's business. Here are 5 things you will experience once you have attended a year at college.

Friends change

When summer came after my first year in college, I had made really great friends at my college. In many ways, I was excited about summer, but then that meant I had to say good bye to some of the friends I deeply cared about. It is very true, when your wise mentors tell you that you will meet some of your best friends in college. Anyways, going back home meant I got to see my high school and child hood friends. In many ways I was very excited, but once I hung out with some of them, not only did it feel a little awkward, which is inevitable due to the long distance, but I felt not as connected. Something I have discovered, is that its not necessary just them who changed, but its also me. With out even realizing it, we change and people we hang out with really do have an affect on us. My view on my high school friends changed since high school because I have changed.

Views on politics

You are exposed to so many people and specifically challenged with new ideas. Many have been brain-washed by their families and during your first year you will hear things that will make you cringe or agree with. Many people I found turbo charged their enthusiasm towards politics when entered college, and for a good reason. I believe kids start to see how important it is to be aware of your surroundings and how politics will and does affect us. You will probably be able to walk into summer with knowing a lot more about politics after your first year.

Learning responsibilities

Ugh. Yes, a big fat, "ugh" towards responsibilities. I think as a whole no one wants a bunch of responsibilities in life. However, college is a huge step in entering responsibilities. When you need your clothes washed, no one will do it for you. If you get off the meal plans, you will probably be cooking because going out for food all the time will be costly. You will definitely learn what it feels like to be an adult.

How we view family

The people in my family are my best friends. Yes, I said it. Once you start school, you will have ups and downs in life- like everyone. Sometimes you will feel so lonely and feel like you have no friends, and that is when you start to really appreciate your family. Even though not everyone might consider their family as their best friends, our families definitely hold a special place in our hearts.

Not living with your family, but a friend.

Straight up, living with your family is extremely different than living with a friend/roommate. Be careful with who you roommate with, sometimes you don't have a choice and sometimes you do, but understand that you two come from different cultures and one might not understand the others actions. Things definitely can become awkward, but that is when your social skills need to be "on point" because if you are living with this person you will need to be on the same page and to be able to make things work with both of you. This is a partnership so make sure you compromise.

College has has been great, and I hope to continue to learn and grow from college. I have learned that college is so much more than just school. You will learn new skills and how to cope with things that you have never experienced when living at home. Pro tip: if you can live on campus at a College/University, do it!