5 Things You Call Your Mom For In College

They'd do anything to make us happy, but they don't sugarcoat the truth.

29

It's easy to take those closest to us for granted, especially our parents. We spent 18+ years of our lives with them, through every soccer practice, chorus recital, teacher conference, and graduation. Some of us have been close to our parents all along, while others went through an angsty "I hate Mom/Dad" phase in high school, acting out against parental guidance just because we thought we could. Once we went off to college and experienced adulthood on our own for the first time, we loved the freedom of finally being able to make our own decisions, but also found ourselves looking to our parents again every time we felt a little bit lost.

While Dads are always there to talk about sports or spend time with, most of us turn to our Moms when it comes to the tough stuff. Moms swoop in to rescue us from every situation; they'd do anything to make us happy, but they don't sugarcoat the truth when we need to hear it. Next time you call your Mom to ask for (yet another) favor, remember to thank her for doing that and so much more for you.

1. Boy Troubles

Now that you're older, you feel more open to telling your mom about the Tinder date that went really well. She might not understand what Tinder is, but she won't hesitate to remind you to keep your standards high. When you're feeling heartbroken, she's also the first person telling you to get out with your girlfriends and move on.

2. Medical "Emergencies"

Your Mom is your own personal WebMD. You've consulted her for every weird rash, headache, scrape, and sore throat, and each time she's reassured you that you probably wouldn't die from it. The only thing worse than being sick at school is not having your mom there to take care of you with warm drinks and chicken noodle soup.

3. Adult Things

Okay, so you're allowed to vote but you still don't know how to do taxes and you're only vaguely aware of what a rental lease consists of. No worries, your Mom will read the fine print and help you navigate adulthood as smoothly as possible. And while she lends help when you need it, she makes sure you're still capable of being responsible on your own.

4. Pep Talks

Had a bad week? Your Mom is always down to listen to a vent session--from exam stress to roommate drama and everything in between. She's your own personal cheerleader and she'll be on your side even when you're in the wrong. Call your Mom to remind yourself that you're capable of anything you set your mind to.

5. All The Feels

Even at our worst, Moms provide us with unconditional love that's like no other. We might forget to call as often as we should while we're wrapped up in our busy college schedules, but she's always happy to hear from us when we do.