4 Years Of Advice, Freshman To Senior Year

10 pieces of advice I wish I had used.

11
Her Campus

My four years in college may have been the best years of my life. While that may sound cliché, it really is true. I have gained so many friends, memories, and experiences that I could of never imagined. I really wish I had done more in my four years at Campbell University. Here is my advice to those in college or about to start college.

1. Go to events.

You not only get to meet new people, but you also get free things and learn about the campus. You might meet your best friend at an event. You also gain new memories and get to experience things you might not have.

2. Go to study groups.

Obviously each person’s study habits are different, but going to study groups can be incredibly helpful. Another person might offer a point of view that helps you.

3. Seek help/advice.

If you need help with a paper, homework, or even your personal life don’t be afraid to seek help. Professors, students, and faculty members are willing to help you if you seek it.

4. Create a relationship with your professors.

This is probably the most important advice I have. Creating a relationship with your professors could help you down the road. They might write you a recommendation, help you find a job, suggest classes you might like, and anything else you might need help. Also they make the semester fun.

5. Go to class.

I know it sounds more appealing to stay in your warm comfy bed watching Netflix or taking a nap than going to class. But I promise it is better to go to class because you are the one learning. You can understand your notes and getting notes from a friend might not make sense to you.

6. Don’t look for love.

This might not be a big concern for some people, but some people are concerned with finding a boyfriend/girlfriend/love of their life. Just wait for them to come. The right one will come when you are not looking.

7. Don’t be afraid to make the first move.

If you want to hang out with someone and don’t really know them then just ask. Don’t be scared to ask someone to hangout. The worst they can tell you is no. However, they are most likely in the same boat as you are and scared to ask. So take the initiative.

8. It’s okay to eat what you want.

Body image is a huge problem right now. I was scared to eat a lot. I weighed around 90 lbs my freshman year. I was watching my weight though. I acknowledge that everyone’s body is different and weight gain or loss affects each individual differently. I just didn’t want to gain weight. I remember looking in the mirror wondering why I wanted to be so tiny. So don’t be afraid to eat what you want. Working out along with eating will keep you healthy.

9. No one cares about name brands.

No one really cares if you are wearing Tory Burch or a knock-off brand. No one really cares if you wear sweatpants or a suit to class. You don’t need to dress to impress, unless it is a formal event then you dress to impress.

10. Take time for yourself.

It is important to do things that you want to do for yourself. This helps keep you sane and motivated to do your work. It also is like a little break from your work and you will benefit from it and so will your work.

I know we have all heard these pieces of advice before. However, I really wish I had someone telling me these throughout my four years. Things may have been different, but I am glad I have the experiences, memories, and friends I have now.