4 Ways To Learn About You And The World Around You

Tips From Experience
131

This summer for me is all about figuring out who I am and what it is that I want for myself in life. If I put that into deeper perspective, I realize that it's going to take longer than one summer to figure these things for myself. For all I know it could take from a few years to a full lifetime to figure out who I am. But, I do have some suggestions for people who want get started like I have.

1. Go to the Movies by yourself

Everybody says that going to the movies by yourself is a bad thing or it just looks depressing. But why is that? It's not like you're TALKING during the movie, you're simply watching a movie on the big screen as opposed to watching it Netflix on your laptop. It's a nice experience because you're taking the risk of spending money on a movie that you may or may not like. You get to chose you're own movie and don't have to compromise for the sake of the group and you can stay to the end of the credits if you're that type of person. But go to the movies by yourself. Enjoy the movie by yourself and savor the movie knowing that only you saw it.

2. Go to a restaurant by yourself

I've seen several articles online talking about this and this is genuinely a really good thing to do. You learn, just as Marilyn said, to enjoy your own company. While you wait for food, instead of being on your phone, read a book, draw something, or possibly write. And when your food comes, just enjoy eating your food. No talking, no texting, just eating. And don't worry about what others thing of you, if they aren't paying for your food then that don't matter. The wait staff will have immense respect for you as you will for yourself.

3. Get a little lost

Whether your walking around the city or riding the bus, it's okay to get a little lost and confused while trying to figure out where you're going. One night when I was coming home, I got on the wrong bus and I ended up riding it all the way to the end of the line and then waited for it start the ride over to take me home. It took my about an hour and a half longer to get home, but I saw some parts of Houston I didn't even knew existed. Actually by getting lost in Houston I'm learning how big it actually is. But by getting a little lost, or very lost like I get most of the time, it forces you to come up with a strategy on how to get where you're going. And plus by learning all the different ways to get to a destination, you become more familiar with where you're at. And I believe that you can apply that to yourself. If you ever feel lost or down, you'll have to figure out how to pull yourself out and by doing so, you'll learn about yourself.

4. Have conversations with strangers and never know their name

Yup that's right. Have a conversation, but don't introduce yourself. DON'T DO IT. Some people are in your life for a season and maybe that season is only 20 minutes long. What I like about these types of conversations is that it reminds you that there are other people in the world who are living life and you just don't know who they are. It's different when you see people in a public place, they're just people. But when you talk to a person you don't know and keep it as a two strangers having a conversation, their life becomes real and they become a person. They just become the person you had a conversation with. And you'd be surprised how often these conversations can happen and where they can happen. Just be open to them.

And those are my suggestions! These are the things that I've been doing for the past couple of weeks and I feel like a different person. I feel free-er. I feel more connected with the world around me as I learn about myself and the world itself. And I believe by passing on this knowledge, all of us can grow as individuals.