4 Ways to Make Cleaning Enjoyable

4 Ways to Make Cleaning Enjoyable

Make cleaning fun in 4 steps

138
4 Ways to Make Cleaning Enjoyable
Gratisography

Cleaning sucks, yet we all have to do it. If you get too lazy and ignore it, next thing you know, you'll be looking up home remedies for bedbugs, and you don't want to have to do that, trust me. Since it's a basic matter of hygiene, instead of postponing cleaning for months, we can make it fun and productive. Whether you need some motivation to clean your dorm room or apartment, here are 4 ways to make cleaning more enjoyable.

Think of cleaning as a form of meditation

I had never been a fan of cleaning until I realized the tiny, simple reason that made me hate it - I thought of it as a chore. Growing up, my parents always made me scrub the floor clean on Sunday and thoroughly clean my bedroom,so I developed a steady feeling of hatred towards the process.

Then while I was in college, my whole outlook changed. When I was stressed, usually right around midterms or finals week, I always picked up a roll of paper towels and Windex and scrubbed my desk and floor clean. Why?

Image via Pixabay

I pictured that with every stain that disappeared under the power of my paper towel, a part of my worries faded away. Got a deadline due tonight? No problem. Clean the desk and begin writing with a fresh mind.

Maintaining an orderly room can do wonders for your mind. If cleaning isn't enough, continue by emptying your closet and folding your clothes neatly. Two hours of this are guaranteed to make you feel much calmer and focused.

Wear ankle weights while you clean

I used to think of cleaning as wasted time. Why would I crawl under my desk with the vacuum cleaner when I could be doing something better like running or biking? Then I figured out how to put together my love for exercise and cleaning, in order to make the whole process more enjoyable.

Image via Breakingpic

I got a pair of ankle weights to wear while dusting and putting together my apartment. For the first time, I felt truly productive. The shapely muscles on my shins that started popping up after a few sessions were an awesome bonus, so I kept it up.

Now when I think of cleaning, I don't get annoyed. In fact, I look forward to it.

Put on a great podcast

This is another way to make cleaning twice as productive. I like to learn but often get lazy to read books so instead, I listen to podcasts such as Tim Ferriss' The Four Hour Workweek.

You can also go for stand up comedy recordings or audiobooks. There are tons of classics on YouTube, like The Little Prince, as well as Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.

Switch up your furniture

Do you find yourself bored of your room and apartment? Or do you feel that there's no energy flow in your living space? Then it's time to switch things up.

I used to move my furniture every semester in college as a mark of a "new era." To this day, I move my furniture in summer and winter to make sure that the energy and fresh air flow optimally in my apartment.

Image via Burst

Some easy changes with a great impact are moving your bed, as it gives you a whole new viewpoint at the beginning of your day. Try putting it close to a window and never have the back of it facing the door. Check out Feng Shui for more inspiration.

So there you have it. Instead of dreading this Sunday's chores, switch things up and make it fun and productive instead.