5 Things The Movie 'Wish I Was Here' Taught Me

It's more than a movie -- it's a message.

1176
Itcher

I have seen countless movies in my 22 years, and there has been a handful that has truly touched my heart and actually taught me something. Most of the time when you watch a movie, since it's for entertainment purposes only, you don't really expect to learn something along the way. "Wish I Was Here" is about a husband and father, Aidan Bloom, who is facing obstacles such as his career, being a good father, struggles with his faith and the impending loss of his father. As he is experiencing the progression of life, new emotions, both challenging and emotional, come to the surface. When I sat down to watch the movie, I didn't think that this movie would be so wonderful, but this movie has it all. I laughed, I cried, I was nervous and excited, and I was amazed by the message that this movie portrays. Here are five things that this movie taught me.

1. "When I was a kid, my brother and I used to pretend we were heroes with swords. We were the only ones who could save the day. But perhaps we set the bar a little too high. Maybe we’re just the regular people. The ones who get saved."

This taught me that you can't always escape reality. You have to face it and if you fail, it's okay. You can't be immune from all the bad that's out there, but that doesn't mean there isn't good out in the world either.

2. "Jump in. I’ll be there for you."

This part taught me that we don't know how our life is going to turn out, we are practically blind and unable to control it. All we can hope is that we will have surrounded ourselves with people who are always willing to catch us when we are too scared to jump in.

3. "What do you mean what do we do? We move forward."

This taught me that when bombs are dropped, it's important that we try and navigate through the wreckage in order to save yourself.

4. "Nothing in life will call upon us to be more courageous than facing the fact that it ends. But on the other side of heartbreak is wisdom."

Hearing this was such an eye opener. This line taught me that you could be playing it safe when it comes to your life. Once you realize that this adventure doesn't last forever, you should want to live it, be crazy, be courageous. It will be hard and you might fail, but you will come out of that experience and have learned something that you would have never known otherwise.

5. "The things left unsaid stay with us forever. I wish nothing more than if I could tell my sister how much I loved her, and how I always idolized her. But we never said those things, we just weren’t like that. And suddenly, one day, she’s gone."

This may be the most important lesson that I've learned from this movie. This taught me that if you have something that you want to tell someone, tell them -- there might not be a day when you will ever be able to express how you feel. Life is fleeting, this is a message we normally learn when we are faced with loss. Since we only have this one life to live, say what you must, share yourself with others and be vulnerable

There are so many more little lessons in this wonderful film, so watch it and see just what it is that you learn because 10/10, would recommend to a friend.