4 Things To Know About Slush Week

4 Things To Know About Slush Week

DO THE THING!!! But here's some things you'd might like to know first.

13
4 Things To Know About Slush Week

Hello fellow humans, this coming week is Slush week; for those of you who don’t actually know what Slush week is it’s the week where all the SLU’s (small living units) on campus open their homes as they look for new potential members to join their house. Anyone can apply to live in a SLU, but there are unfortunately only a few slots open in each house each year so here’s what you might like to know about SLUSH Week.

1) Do yourself a favor and check out all the houses during the All SLU event, even if you aren’t interested in all of them or their missions, check them out anyways. If you get into one of the SLU’s it helps to know who the other SLU’s are as you will not just be joining a house, you’re going to be joining a community. Each house has members who have the ability to teach you about their house missions and just help you expand your thoughts.

2) Contrary to popular belief you don’t actually have to know any of the housemate previously before interviewing for any of the houses. When I slushed freshmen year I didn’t know any of the housemates who were in there at the time, but they decided to allow me to join the house because they believed I would be a good addition to the house.

3) On the other hand, please don’t take it personally if you aren’t accepted in to a house that you really wanted to join. All of the houses have limited space and generally speaking a lot of applicants, so we do have to say no to quite a few people. It’s not like the house didn’t like you, it’s simply a matter of trying to find who might be the best fit for the house at the moment. And you can always reapply for the house again, one of my old housemates actually applied for the house every year, but didn’t actually end up getting accepted until her senior year.

4) Lastly, MEN! You can also slush! No, but actually, in my 4 years at this university I’ve noticed that for a lot of men it seems like they think their only options for living on this campus are either to join a fraternity or stay in dorm housing; not saying there’s anything wrong with either but it seems like men seem to overlook slushing as an option, when in all honesty the chance to live in a house is actually a great opportunity for guys. Granted sometimes you might end up being the only guy living in the house and it might seem a bit intimidating but it will help you so much more as a person. I don’t think I would have as a clear of a view on issues, especially women and gender issues as I would if I didn’t live with all women.

At the end of the day it’s your decision, but it’s a lot of fun, and I still consider joining a SLU to be on the best decisions that I’ve made in my 4 years here!