4 Reasons Your Family Is The Best Support System

They're here to support you for life.

5674
Justine Boorady

As rough and tough as life can get at times, having the best support system around you can make all the difference. For as long as I can remember, my family and I have always been four peas in a pod. Sure, we had our classic spats here and there, but we’ve always had each other’s back through thick and thin. I’ve dragged my family into some of my hardest times—times where I felt alone with no friends, times where my physical and mental health were on a slippery decline, and times where I had no inkling of what I wanted to do in life. But through it all, I’ve had one constant in my life, one grip of hope where I felt myself slipping—my family. I’m lucky enough to say that regardless of any struggles thrown in my direction, my family is my go-to and best support system. Here are some of my reasons why family will always be the best support system.

1. Family comes first.

We do anything for each other. My mom gets the flu; we stay home to take care of her. My dad gets stressed from work; we chip in for a spa day. My brother cuts off the tip of his finger (yep, true story); we drop everything to take him to the hospital and re-bandage when needed. Family is as strong as its weakest link and when one of us becomes that weak link, we band together to strengthen them. From break-ups to poor grades to our daily stresses, family will always come first.

2. They know you better than you know yourself.

My family knows exactly how I’m feeling the second they see my face or hear the first word out of my mouth. There was even a point in time when my mom knew to pack medicine and my dad was ready to drive me to the CVS clinic during Christmas break because I always got sick the same week of the year. And my brother knew exactly when to leave me alone during my, ya know, womanly week. Yeah, they’re just that good. When I need a hug, a chill pill, or an appointment with a doctor, they tell it to me straight and do everything they can to help. Having them to lean on when I’m feeling my worst is a gift; they always know how to make me feel better and put everything into perspective.

3. They’re always right.

This may be a tough pill to swallow, but your parents are pretty frickin’ knowledgeable. *cue eye roll* Trust me, it’s a fact I’ve come to accept and actually appreciate! Chances are, no matter how ridiculous their advice or words of comfort may sound, they usually hit the nail on the head. Even my younger brother can smell my bullshit from miles away and can pull me back to reality through a ten-minute phone call. It’s routine for me to swallow my pride, call a few days later and tell him hey, so you were right the whole time, I had such a blast and I’m sorry I doubted you! Listen to your family; they are the perfect outside perspective that only has your best interest in mind.

4. They love you no matter what.

I know that through every obstacle, my family loves me no matter what. This makes life that much easier knowing that I have them as my biggest supporters—even if I become the biggest scum on Earth as my full-time job. Trust me, I’ve dragged my family through some pretty hellish times (puberty years, ha ha) and they stuck around through it all! Don’t ever be afraid to go to your family for support with any problems you may have because nothing will ever make them stop loving and encouraging you to put your best foot forward.