4 Reasons Why "American Idol" Shouldn't End

A legacy that will have a lasting effect for many years to come.

13
Cage8.com

As most of you probably have heard by now, Fox decided to cancel the television series "American Idol" due to the low ratings it has been receiving since Simon Cowell left the show in 2010. Last week I sat in front of my TV and watched the loyal host of the show Ryan Seacrest, say goodnight to America from the "Idol" stage one last time. I actually felt a tear roll down my cheek as I remembered all of the amazing artists that I had been able to discover. "American Idol" may not be continuing on TV anymore, but it will never be forgotten. So here is a list of four reasons why the show "American Idol" should not have ended.

1. Family Time

I remember the first time I watched "American Idol" just 11 seasons ago. My mom was really into reality TV. When I was little, I was never into the shows that she watched, until she found this new singing show which caught my attention. It was 2004, the year when Carrie Underwood won. (To this day, she’s still one of my favorites). While I routed for Carrie Underwood during most of the show, I remember my mom routing for Carrie’s opponent, Bo Bice. Despite voting for different contestants during the show, my mom and I hold a special bond for sharing new artists and bands with each other all because of the many "American Idol" sing-alongs and dance parties, which we held in our living room.

2. Diverse Music Taste

If you don’t know at least one singer who performed on "American Idol" over the past 15 years, it’s probably safe to say that you lived under a rock. Many of the winning artists from this show have had billboard hits, won music awards, and have toured the country. Some of these artists include stars such as Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and more recent artists from season 11, Phillip Phillips. One of the best parts about "American Idol" is that it caters to everyone’s taste, whether that be rock, country, pop, or the blues. Because of "American Idol," my playlist can change from a country song by Carrie Underwood, to a pop song by Kelly Clarkson, and so on. To this day, I credit the foundation of my diverse musical taste to the show that I grew up watching for so many years.

3. Ryan Seacrest

Does this even need an explanation? I mean let’s be real here, it’s Ryan Seacrest! First of all, Seacrest is the only one left of the original four, (Him, Randy, Paula, and Simon). He deserves a round of applause and a ton of credit for sticking by with the show despite the bumps in the road. Seacrest also brought his sense of humor and charm to the airing of every episode for 15 years straight. From mini duets with Caleb Johnson and selfies with Grumpy Cat during season 13; to reluctantly letting (bikini girl) Katrina Powell from season nine kiss him after winning a golden ticket. Not to mention Seacrest’s fluent wordplay and that smile of his. His smile gets me every time. As one of the pivotal pieces of “American Idol,” Seacrest was one of if not the most memorable parts of the show.

4. Making Dreams Come True

Among all the things that I loved about “American Idol,” my absolute favorite part of the show was getting to watch small town dreamers achieve their goals and succeed in ways they never thought possible. Many of the Idols are role models who have inspired me to keep chipping away at my own dreams each and every day.

“American Idol” was an inspiration for so many, whether it helped build small town singers into big time stars or just gave the message that fighting for your dreams will eventually pay off. I watched so many hopefuls come back and audition again and again. Each time, they never gave up hope and they always made it further than the last. The show "American Idol" and what it stands for is why I’ll never give up on achieving my dreams. So here’s to 15 amazing years with my favorite childhood show!