4 Reasons I’m Grateful I Pledged A Sorority My Freshman Year Of College

I can depend on my sisters to be there, in both the bad times and the good ones.

60

My first year of college was filled to the brim with brand new things at every turn, and I was absolutely terrified. Against all odds, with my last second bid of hope, I decided to go through recruitment and pledge to a sorority. I ended up finding that brand new doesn't have to be so scary when you have the right people to be by your side through it all. Here are four reasons that I'm so thankful for the sisterhood I've found.

1. My connections on campus are limitless.

Initially, starting at school felt overwhelming. Just finding my way to class seemed foreboding. My sisters not only soothed my worries, but they also supported my understanding of campus and comfort on campus. They printed maps and highlighted shortcuts. They recommended their favorite professors and directed away from their not-so-favorite ones. Walking on campus never felt lonely or intimidating with these new connections. There wasn't a single place on campus where there wasn't a chance of running into a fellow sister. Whether I was stopping for coffee or studying long hours in the library or waiting for class to start, there was always a high likelihood of a fellow sister walking by me. My sisters became this network all across campus, dorms, classes, clubs, and organizations. School no longer felt so formidable, but like I had been there all along.

2. I'm encouraged to be a leader.

When I first considered joining a sorority, the main thing I wanted from the experience was friends. As a freshman, everything is completely new, especially you. No one knows you, and you don't know anyone. While my sorority certainly helped me gain many of what will be lifelong friends, they also gave me something else to take away from being a part of it - standing out and being heard. I never before considered that my voice one worthy of being listened to before joining a sorority. My new sisters completely changed. I learned that I had skills and talents that I had never truly recognized because my sisters valued them. They encouraged me to think bigger for myself, and maybe even start to see myself a little more like the way they do. Every sister is a leader, not necessarily always in leading titles or managing positions, but in growing to see yourself and know yourself more.

3. My sisters cheer for my growth.

During your freshman year of college, there are bound to be many changes and probably a few learning curves as well. During my first year, I experienced growth and challenges. They were never discouraged. In fact, they were cheered for and supported. I was accepted and encouraged to be my true authentic self. When I experienced growing pains, I always knew there would be a shoulder to cry on, but I also knew that if I struggled to reach for something, there would be a foundation and support that would help me stand on my own two feet. My sisters knew and mourned my losses right alongside me. Even more than that, they built up and always cheered the loudest for my wins out of anyone. My Big Sister in particular has continued to be my greatest advocate in all aspects of my life. She consistently embodies the mantra of "Sisters by choice," whether that be through sweet tea runs or random meme messages or the very best hugs. She's my sister in every way to me, on purpose every single day. Even as part of a team, part of a sisterhood, and part of a family, my new sisters made sure I still knew that I was me, and that being me was a pretty awesome person to be.

4. I have an unconditional support system.

From the instant I pledged my sorority, my new sisters went out of their way to get to know me. In some ways, that was simply knowing my name and recognizing my smile. In others, it was saying hello on campus or offering book suggestions in the library or even invites to lunch or game nights. I had felt completely alone in this brand new place, and my new sisters made that loneliness go away. They offered me this love and support freely with no strings attached and no conditions. I could and still can depend on my sisters at the drop of a hat to be there for me in both the bad times and the good ones.